Solved

Which Email Address for Newsletter

• 26 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

Hello Guys

I’m a bit overwhelmed and confused, with which is the best email adress for sending newsletter, double Opt-in Mails and Flows.

So, my current situation is, that we will maintain several Ecom Stores in the future and for each of these stores will have seperate E-Mail Adresses: ex. info@storename.com

My Idea is to warm up these adresses first to avoid spam filters.

Now, i’m wondering what is the best solution for sending all the E-Mails that i mentioned above. Would you use the main Adress since the were warmed up or would you create a sending domain over klaviyo?

Let me please know what works best for you and my situation.

Thanks for all your answers!

icon

Best answer by Omar 27 April 2023, 00:26

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Hello @Mischa 

If you are planning to have multiple Ecom stores, then you must have separate sub-domains of main website domain for marketing emails. You can then have separate sender email addresses on the same sub-domain. Of course, each sending domain has to go through a strategic warmup & ramp up phase. But, before reaching there, you should ensure setting up your sending domains & authentication properly.

I assume each ecom store is an independent business on separate TLD. If that’s that case, then you should follow a strategic sub-domain approach - that is, having different email programs on different sub-domains to avoid any conflict in the email stream during any sort of deliverability issues in the future.

Here’s a great resource by Klaviyo on “Setting up a Dedicated Sending Domain” - https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000357752

If you have any further questions, feel free to let me know.

Regards,
Mohsin

Userlevel 7
Badge +44

Hi @Mischa,

Good and awesome question and great thinking.

To add to what @inboxingmaestro said I'm assuming when you say you have different ecommerce stores you mean you have various domains/url's?

For each domain I suggest to follow the steps for setting up a dedicated sending domain. 

use a separate sending domain per shop domain you're setting up. 
i.e. send.domain1.com, send.domain2.com, send.domain3.com etc

Now for using email addresses my suggestion would be to have various levels of email addresses as well split by for what they'll be used.

I would suggest at least

• 1 transactional email address (account info/order emails etc)  - info@ / webshop@ / shop@ / service@ or something similar
  • 1 email marketing address - hello@, email@, mail@, news@

If you want to go further you could split up personal type emails with a name, split up newsletters from flows, use different emails for service/tool related emails (reviews, loyalty).

The main reason being, you don't want your transactional emails to potentially also be marked as promotional or if something goes wrong also end up in spam.

In the end you can have 1 mailbox with multiple aliases just to catch any replies that come in. That way you don't have to monitor multiple mailboxes.

I hope this helps and answers your question(s).

Omar Lovert // Polaris Growth // Klaviyo Master Platinum Partner

We help with e-commerce growth through CRO, Klaviyo and CVO

Badge +1

Okey, Thanks for your replies.

i need to setup sending domains for each ecomerce store. But now i’m wondering how it will be with the warm up. 

Let’s say i created 1 new shop email (info@myshop.com) who can send and recieve. Then i create a sending domain trough klaviyo, with which i just can send emails. 

How does the warmup process work? do i have to warmup the main email who then effects the sending domain also? 

Cause if i warmup the sending domain, which can just recieve emails, the warmup process doesn’t work very good. 

Or what would you guys do?

Badge +1

Okey, Thanks for your replies.

i need to setup sending domains for each ecomerce store. But now i’m wondering how it will be with the warm up. 

Let’s say i created 1 new shop email (info@myshop.com) who can send and recieve. Then i create a sending domain trough klaviyo, with which i just can send emails. 

How does the warmup process work? do i have to warmup the main email who then effects the sending domain also? 

Cause if i warmup the sending domain, which can just send and nor recieve, the warmup process doesn’t work very good. 

Or what would you guys do?

An Other Idea that i had was, that i would create 2 Emails:

the first one can send and recieve and the second one can just send.

As soon as someone would replie on the one who can just send, the email would then be forward to the one who can send and recieve.

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Hi @Mischa 

Great recommendations by @Omar … So, let me simplify it further for you for more clarity:

Let’s take an example of one hypothetical store:

Klaviyo’s Sending Domain Configuration:

• Root sub-domain: emails.mystore.com
  • Sending sub-domain (Return-Path): send.emails.mystore.com
  • For DKIM signing domain:
    • the emails going out with DKIM domain emails.mystore.com using the signatures present on the kl._domainkey.emails.mystore.com and kl2._domainkey.emails.mystore.com respectively, in rotation.
    • the SPF authentication being handled by send.emails.mystore.com using the SPF record present on that subdomain, which also serves as the return path address.
  • DMARC can be signed on the root domain and can be applied to all it’s sub-domains under respective policies - none, quarantine or reject, depending upon your business requirements.
  • Sender email address: campaigns@emails.mystore.com or newsletters@emails.mystore.com, or promos@emails.mystore.com
  • Reply-to id: reply-to@mystore.com (actual mailbox where MX records are present and be able to accept incoming emails or send emails too)

Discuss with Klaviyo’s awesome support team and they’d be able to further guide you in implementing the recommended configuration basis your business objectives and email volumes you plan to send going forward.

So, play your cards right while laying down the right foundation for your email channel.

If you’re getting overwhelmed or need expert consultation on managing technical and strategic deliverability, @inboxingmaestro would be the perfect deliverability team for your business. :)

Moving on, when it comes to warmup, this is the most pivotal & crucial phase of reputation build up - in short, it can make or break your email programs, if not done right! You’d have to go through a strategic warmup & rampup phase for each sending domain for each store and at the same time ensure engagement across all your campaigns for better sender reputation across multiple domains, if that makes sense.

My recommendation will be - set one store properly for email, build up the reputation, scale up your email channel; and move on to next store and replicate the same process. Doing everything at the same time to achieve things faster would make things complicated and overwhelm you.

Any thoughts or questions further, feel free to message me and I’ll be happy to hop on a call to talk further.

Regards,

Mohsin

Badge +1

okey thank you.

so basically i can do this:

root domain: myshop.ch

sending domain: send.myshop.ch

from email address for sending newsletters: info@myshop.ch

even though it shows the root domain in the from address, the emails will be sent over the sending domain but if someone replies to one newsletter it will be sent to our root domain.

That works. right?

Badge

Hello Guys

I’m a bit overwhelmed and confused, with which is the best email adress for sending newsletter, double Opt-in Mails and Flows.

So, my current situation is, that we will maintain several Ecom Stores in the future and for each of these stores will have seperate E-Mail Adresses: ex. info@storename.com

Now, i’m wondering what is the best solution for sending all the E-Mails that i mentioned above. Would you use the main Adress since the were warmed up or would you create a sending domain over klaviyo?

Let me share my experience to answer your query hope it will help you. 

When it comes to warming up your email addresses, it's important to gradually increase your email sending volume over time to establish a good sender reputation. This can be done by sending emails to a smaller number of subscribers at first and gradually increasing the number over time.

Regards

Badge

Hello Guys

Moreover, the best solution would be to use a separate email address for each store and set up a subdomain for sending emails through Klaviyo. This will help maintain good email deliverability and protect your main domain's reputation.