Solved

Why are there soft bounces on outgoing emails from shared sending domain: 'DMARC Unauthenticated' ERROR?

• 17 July 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hi community,

I’m trying to send out newsletters to my new subscribers, but the emails are soft bounced with the error ‘Unauthenticated email from xxx.dk is not accepted due to domain's DMARC policy’. When reading about it in the Help Center, I see that ‘DMARC is not required to send marketing emails on Klaviyo’. I am not sending from a dedicated sending domain, so I don’t understand why I am sending from an unauthenticated email.

Can you help me understand?

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 17 July 2023, 22:28

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi there @asp

Great question! Happy to help! 

This implies that your emails were bounced due to the DMARC policy you've set in place for your domain and it redirects you to Google's Help Center article. We would recommend going through it to take the necessary steps! 

DMARC only comes into play when the domain incorporating it is used in a sender email address (i.e., from-address). It impacts inbox placement when the sending domain differs from the said from-address domain. This misalignment typically impacts accounts using Klaviyo’s default shared sending domain to send emails that have a from-address domain with a DMARC policy on it. That said, accounts with dedicated sending domains may also be impacted. 

So you are correct, neither DMARC nor using a dedicated sending domain is required to send emails in Klaviyo. However having a dedicated sending domain allows you to have an aligned sending domain and from-address, thus being DMARC compliant. If you want to understand the differences between dedicated and shared sending domains, I’d recommend checking out our awesome Help Center documentation on the topic.

Finally, if you have decided you do want to pursue setting up a matching dedicated sending domain, here is our documentation along with other Community topics on the topic that will prove insightful! 

Hope this helps!

-Taylor