Solved

Why setting up a new sub domain ?

• 29 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hey there.

So I’m about to set up a brand new dedicated domain for my client.

When I watched this video (https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000357752) it says that you have to create a sub domain ? 

I don’t understand why ? I’d like to be able to explain it with ease to my client.

Could you help me please ?

Thanks.

Steve

icon

Best answer by kaila.lawrence 30 January 2024, 21:13

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey @Steve0603! Using an email sending subdomain allows you to isolate email marketing activities to one specific domain, which gives you better visibility over sender reputation and deliverability performance. Your root domain is responsible for handling much more than just email. Since email deliverability is so highly dictated by inbox providers/outside parties that you don’t have control over, using a subdomain dedicated to sending emails helps you maintain some control over your total domain reputation.

Hope that helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks @kaila.lawrence 

It does help, but I still have questions though. LOL

When setting a brand new dedicated domain in Klaviyo’s tutoriel, they say that you have to create a sub domain, like “send” ?

Why ?

Is that really a sub domain ? 

I can’t explain to my client why we need to have : “send.storename.com” rather than is current domain : hello@storename.com

I hope I’m clear LOL

Thanks a lot ! 

Steve

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

No problem! To be clear, a subdomain such as send.storename.com is NOT the same as a username at your root domain, such as hello@storename.com. In the example you gave, hello@storename.com is only using your root domain of storename.com.

Email domains (both root and subdomain) are in part what ISPs use to measure your sender reputation since it informs where messages are coming from. Your sender reputation has a direct impact on your deliverability. Since ISP’s don’t share exactly how they decide whether a domain is trustworthy sender or not, it’s strongly recommended to minimize variables using subdomains.

Using a subdomain like send.storename.com effectively separates emails you’re using for marketing purposes from other activities on the root domain. For example, if you were only using a root domain and you got an increase in spam reports on a marketing campaign, the impact to your sender reputation would affect deliverability of ALL emails using the root domain, such as sales outreach, customer support (hello@storename.com), or even employees’ ability to email each other.

This is why you definitely want to separate your marketing communications with a subdomain. Let me know if that helps :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@kaila.lawrence awesome, it does help ! 

Perfect, thanks a lot.

Best,

Steve.

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

You’re very welcome! Have a wonderful rest of your week :) 

Badge

Hi, Hope you can help please.

Just setting up Branded Domain

If our domain is website.co.uk and i am following the steps to add DNS records

Then i would select send.website.co.uk  as my sending domain

And create the DNS records and update to AWS , who host our DNS

What i would like to know please, if our domain is website.co.uk

Do i need to actually create the send.website.co.uk domain first ?

Do i create this sub domain on the server first ? before setting this up on Klaviyo ?

Just want to know if i actually create this sub domain on our host, before pointing DNS records at it ?

Any help appreciated

thanks in Advance 🙏

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @Jacko!

I saw you posted another Community thread on this topic that I just answered, so I’m going to link to that here for the sake of visibility:

Best,

Brian