Solved

Abandoned cart flow - how to do the flow correctly for new customers and returning customers?

• 23 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello everyone, 

I am encountering some questions on the abandoned cart flow:

This is the trigger for the abandoned cart flow that I plan to execute based on Klaviyo template, here comes the question: should I put another filter to split out new vs returning customer? 

For example: Adding another condition in Flow Filter where Placed Order zero times since all time.

In this way only new customers will get abandoned cart email.

In this way, both new and returning customers will still get the abandoned email. 

Would like to know which way is better? Thanks for all the input!

icon

Best answer by In the Inbox 23 February 2023, 16:38

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @Darren C 

Thank you for posting your question in the community. 

For the cart abandon flow, you can certainly have different messages based on how many times someone has entered the cart abandoned flow, or purchased. 

In reviewing your flow, I would suggest you remove the filter “Started Checkout zero times since starting this flow” as this might limit anyone from entering the flow. 

One thing I recommend for clients if they are worried about having a cart series trigger too many times or customer gaming the series if they know there is a coupon (which you may or may not have), is to actually set up a second flow filter like this:

This will suppress anyone from reentering a flow within a specific time of entering it a previous time. You may want to set this at 30 or 60 days depending on your strategy. 

While I don’t know exactly your industry, I would caution against setting up the series for only first time buyers, especially if you customers can come back to make repeat purchases. 

The cart abandon series is usually one of the top performing email series for revenue and engagement. But, if you want to offer a slightly different experience for first time vs. repeat buyers you can use the secondary split you created and send repeat buyers a different message.

If you use the Placed Order zero times since all time as a flow filter, anyone with more than one purchase will automatically be suppressed from even entering the flow. If you use it as a conditional split, anyone who abandons their cart will enter the flow, and the conditional split will route users to different messages based on their order history.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

@In the Inbox 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@In the Inbox, in this case does that mean the abandoned cart template provided by Klaviyo is not accurate? As the flow filter was already preset when I created the flow:

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @Darren C ,

I believe the standard abandoned cart template places in a Placed Order filter and Has not been in Flow filter. But it does not include a started checkout filter.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @alex.hong 

Hmm if its true then its a bit weird. If you look at the screenshot, this is the template that I clicked.

And this is the thing that popped out:

And if you see the flow, the flow template setup is like this when i opened it up without doing any edits:

Do correct me if I’m wrong? Thanks !

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Ok @Darren C I see what you’re talking about.

So the second filter is essentially checking to see if someone has started another checkout event since entering the Flow. This is not in reference to the initial Started Checkout event that triggered the Flow.

For context regarding metric-triggered Flows - each time the Flow Trigger event is triggered, the person will enter the Flow. 

So if I trigger the Started Checkout event, this will enter me into the Flow. I could then, later, trigger the Started Checkout event again. This will enter me into the Flow a second time. Now I'm in the Flow twice - once for each Started Checkout event I triggered. The Flow Filter will then evaluate both instances and skip the first instance from receiving the remainder of the messaging (as I have stared another checkout since I first entered the Flow and therefore fail the Flow Filter). Only the second Started Checkout instance will qualify for the Flow Filter and I'll continue through the Flow for just that second Started Checkout instance. Essentially, it prevents someone from being in the Flow multiple times, at the same time, as that can be a bit overwhelming for the customer.

You certainly don't need to have that Flow Filter but again, it is a great way to keep the messaging to a more reasonable volume.

Learn more here: 
Guide to Creating a Metric-Triggered Flow
Flow filters

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hey @alex.hong OK got it, then I will just keep it that way, thanks again for the explanation!