Skip to main content
Solved

Added to Cart flow - profile entering flow multiple times

• 28 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi! After realizing that my Abandoned Cart flow using the Started Checkout (WooCommerce) trigger wasn’t capturing profiles who had only “added to cart,” I set up the Abandoned Cart flow with the template using the Added to Cart trigger. 

After setting everything up, I added past profiles and it populated profiles from months ago (which I clearly didn’t want!). I recreated the flow and included the profile filter “Added to cart at least once after 06/25/2024.”  While that eliminated the unwanted profiles from entering the flow, it still scheduled a single profile to receive the first email 3 times (based on the 3 added to cart events in her profile). I had to manually go in and cancel the send on two of the emails scheduled to send her from both Email #1 and Email #2 in the flow. I’ve included a screenshot of the trigger details/filters currently in place.

The questions I have:

• Did the single profile enter the flow multiple times because it was back-populated from adding past profiles (and it just captured all of the trigger events, regardless of profile)?
  • Are the filters set up correctly to prevent this from happening with real-time events/triggers - someone who adds multiple items to his/her cart will only receive one email and won’t enter the flow again for another 7 days, regardless of what is added to cart during the first 7 days?
  • Now that I’ve captured the previous profiles I wanted to enter the flow, can I remove the “Added to cart at least once after 06/25/2024” and everything work correctly going forward?

Thanks so much!!!

Nan

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +23

Hi @Nanette,

I’m not sure about questions 1 and 3. However, I used my test abandoned cart flow to test the profile filters you set up. I added a product, then received my email. Next, I added another product. Clicked on the preview button in the trigger section, it shows that my email address no longer qualify because I have been in the flow in the last 7 days.
My guess is that you are correct about 1 and 3 - the profile was captured 3 times because of the 3 events. And, I suspect that it will work correctly from here on out if you remove “Added at least once since 6/25”, since it seems the only reason that was needed was to limit the profiles in the back population.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi! I think you’ve gotten a good answer above about how the filters are set up (they look correct to me as well). 

I just wanted to shout out the trigger preview feature, in case you don’t already know about it/it might be helpful here! In the top right area of your screenshot, you can click preview and see how your trigger criteria would respond to a specific person. So, if you want to grab the person who had the error you found before and double check that your updates fixed the situation for them now, this will allow you to do that! 

If you’re not confident the trigger filters are working as intended, you can also add a backup filter to the specific email touch points you’re seeing issues with. Here is a screenshot of what a potential filter could look like on the message level:

I often have backup filters running like this, just in case one of them isn’t set up correctly. 

Let me know if this makes sense or if you have any questions!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Hey @Nanette 

Thank you for this questions, here are my thoughts on your questions

1. This is a metric triggered flow and When you add past profiles to a metric-triggered flow, recipients will move through the flow relative to when they performed the triggering action. Adding past profiles does not cause a flow to send out messages immediately; instead, it will simply insert recipients at the step where they would be if the flow was live when they performed the triggering action. So I don't think that ‘single profile’ entered the flow multiple times. This would need more detailed investigation into why the profile was scheduled to receive the first email three times.
  2. Yes, they will only enter the flow once in 7 days, even if they get kicked out of the flow (because of flow filters), they still won't go into the flow again if they add to cart.
  3. Yes you can remove that filter now. 

Also I usually have the filter set to - ‘Has not been in the flow in the last 30 days’ because I have observed that sending an email at 7 days is a little too aggressive strategy for ‘Added to cart’ flow, and did result in a higher ‘Unsubscribe’ rates as the customer might feel bombarded with a lot of emails if you also regularly send email campaigns. Again this is just a suggestion, as it depends on your strategy, the products you are selling etc. So its not wrong, but you can play around with the number of days and see which works best for you.

I hope my answer helps.

Thanks,
Arpit

Badge +2

Hi! I think you’ve gotten a good answer above about how the filters are set up (they look correct to me as well). 

I just wanted to shout out the trigger preview feature, in case you don’t already know about it/it might be helpful here! In the top right area of your screenshot, you can click preview and see how your trigger criteria would respond to a specific person. So, if you want to grab the person who had the error you found before and double check that your updates fixed the situation for them now, this will allow you to do that! 

If you’re not confident the trigger filters are working as intended, you can also add a backup filter to the specific email touch points you’re seeing issues with. Here is a screenshot of what a potential filter could look like on the message level:

I often have backup filters running like this, just in case one of them isn’t set up correctly. 

Let me know if this makes sense or if you have any questions!!

Thank you!!  I did check the trigger preview, which is what initially caught my attention that the same profile was entering the flow multiple times. I’m continuing to monitor the flow and will add the email filter - I tried that in a different variation, so I think that’s a good catch!!

Thank you!

Nan