Solved

Automations outperforming campaigns

• 8 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I recently took over an account and I am seeing something I have never seen before. In terms of email-attributed revenue, automations (flows) are outperforming campaigns. The breakdown is 60/40 in favour of automations. This is obviously not best practice and am wondering if anyone else has encountered something similar and successfully made some changes that moved this percentage in favour of campaigns. Anyone advice or feedback would be greatly welcomed. 

icon

Best answer by ebusiness pros 9 June 2023, 01:14

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @Levi1129, welcome to the community!

If this new client of yours has flows that are consistently generating revenue, I’d view this as a good result! Many of my clients have their flows generate 20-60% of their revenue, and it varies month to month. Generally, 20% is the baseline of revenue generated by flows.

My perspective is this has much more to do with how frequently campaigns are sent. If this new client of yours has a prior cadence of sending 1-2 campaigns per month, it wouldn’t be unusual for 60% of revenue to come from flows. 

In other cases, there might be 3-4 campaigns sent per month, or even more. That’s when it would make sense to see campaigns generating more than 40% of email attributed revenue. 

Flows can be super helpful when they’re dialed in and converting well, while engaging customers and subscribers. This helps support your overall customer retention.

Campaigns are also valuable, but sometimes different brands might not be able to sustain a pace of sending 3+ campaigns per month.

Can you help me understand why you’re so concerned about the revenue generated by flows, compared to campaigns?

For instance, was this new client not consistently sending at least 1 campaign per month? Or maybe the campaigns they were sending weren’t high enough quality, and so they didn’t generate orders to the extent they should have?

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Klaviyo Champion & Marketing Lead at ebusiness pros 

P.S. I’m tagging the other Klaviyo champions and a few other people who might have perspective on this that you’d find helpful. (: @In the Inbox @Brett_Gatsby @Spark Bridge Digital LLC @Akers Digital @retention @Omar @Bobi N. @Travis @chelsgrove @Ashley I. @inboxingmaestro @KatherineB @Jakub @Kylie W 

Badge

Hi Gabrielle @ebusiness pros , thanks for your detailed response. I think my obsession stems from a conversation I once had with a Klaviyo success manager. They had mentioned that an 80/20 split was the benchmark to strive for (at the time, the account in question was 88/12 in favour of campaigns). This new account I have taken over has close 2 million in revenue per year and is sending between 4-6 emails per week, so to me, that seems quite strange. To your point, it’s probably not the end of the world, but with campaigns, it is much easier to keep content fresh, not to mention segmented, so I’m looking at what is the best way to bring that percentage over to the campaign side. 

Thank you!  

Userlevel 5
Badge +27

Thanks for the invite @ebusiness pros and thanks for the question into the Klaviyo Community @Levi1129 

I would echo what Gabrielle has said and that if the Flows are performing and performing well, then I wouldn’t have this as a concern.

As such, most of our clients too have their flows dominating their Klaviyo attribution to revenue.

Sorry I couldn’t add anything more useful!

Kylie

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

@Levi1129 In my experience there is no right and wrong % when it comes to flows vs campaigns revenue. It is always different from account to account and it depend on many things. If you have the automations set up properly and this client have active subscribers on their website I don’t see how and why you would think it is bad that flows are performing so good.

Also I worked on accounts that have most of their revenue coming from campaigns but this client had new products coming every week and they were promoting it with campaigns so of course this would happen there.

We have another client where we send 650K emails with campaigns and 65K emails with flows per month and they do 50/50.. so everything is possible and nothing is wrong. It depends from account to account and it depends from the clients strategy and how they work.

Our job as marketers are to make as much as we can from both flows and campaigns and that will always depend from how we set up everything, what is the clients strategy for their store, what kind of customers they have, the products and so many other things..

I would just say you shouldn’t fully compare one account to other. What you should try to do is make every next month revenue better than the previous one for a certain account.