Solved

Back in stock: second email if product is delayed

• 22 September 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hey,

We have a back in stock flow working really well. However, one of our high value and high demand products (a bicycle) has been out of stock for three months and due to some issues it will continue to be out of stock for another three months.

I want to email back in stock subscribers who have been signed up over a month for the product and let them know it is not back in stock, yet but it is coming and in production. I want to try and retain their interest, remind them we’re still here in the hope they don’t choose to purchase elsewhere.

I don’t want to email people who have just signed up. I don’t really want to send a campaign, I was hoping to create a flow, where the trigger was once they have been signed up for over 45 days we email them an update.

Should I make a separate flow? and if so what would the triggers be?
Should I build a second branch into my back in stock flow? and again I’m not quite sure what my triggers would be to isolate that product.

Thanks 

Claire

icon

Best answer by bluesnapper 23 September 2023, 12:41

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Hi @clairebeaumont 

Great question! 

I don't believe a conditional block in your BIS flow to select for your bicycle product will work. I've thought through various permutations and keep hitting "but what if" considering contacts may enter this flow multiple times and for different products! I'd be interested in what others say on here.

Therefore I'd create a new BIS flow for the bicycle with a trigger filter 'ProductName equals [bicycle]'. Then add a 45-day delay and email message immediately after the trigger and before the BIS notification delay. Given the long lead time, you may also want to consider some incentive for them to wait to purchase - a discount or a freebie with their order?

You will also need to add a trigger filter in your existing BIS flow of 'ProductName doesn't equal [bicycle]' so they don't receive emails from both BIS flows.

Hope that helps

Andy

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@bluesnapper thanks very much for your help with that. 

I’m going to work through some what if scenarios. 

Klaviyo perhaps needs to create a block or new feature that would help users who have longer lead times (hint hint). 

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

@clairebeaumont I would agree with @bluesnapper that the most foolproof way to accomplish what you’re looking for is to create the separate Back In Stock flow specific to this bike. Also love that you’re thinking about proactive ways to maintain the relationship with these people while they wait for the product to be available again. 👌🏼 Customer service blended marketing messages like this have worked really well for my clients, especially when there are inventory issues.

In my experience, the more specific you want to be about your messaging, often the simplest path is to create distinct flows where you can be precise with what’s triggering the emails being sent. Then if you need to backpopulate a flow to ensure people receive a new email, you don’t need to worry about duplicate messages being sent, or unintended recipients getting certain messages!

Maybe @David To can help us pass this feedback to the product team about BIS use cases when product lead times exceed 21-30 days?

Best,

Gabrielle

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hey @clairebeaumont ,

The cycling supply chain is still a little messed up huh? At least it is getting a lot better!

Another thought around this scenario which is a little different than what you were asking is to try and do a cross-sell into another bike that you have in stock. You could probably do this as a campaign since inventory levels change, but could try and create a segment of any user who visited the out of stock bike page and has not purchased. 

I’m not sure what kind of bikes you’re selling, but the use case could be something like this. Target anyone who visited your hardtail MTB with 100mm of travel since it’s been out of stock and send them an update/cross sell campaign. “Our 100mm travel hardtail isn’t coming into stock for the next 3-months, in the meantime, you can explore our 120mm hardtail or our line of full suspension mountain bikes.”

Just a thought! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +44

@clairebeaumont having worked with another brand in the biking industry I know how this is.

You have new bikes coming out every year or so, improved 2024 models meaning the old version of the bikes need to sell out to prevent having old stock.

Keeping interests warm is important, if you already know what the timeline is I think that even a campaign approach might be easiest. Just plan in a couple of moments when you're going to send an update / wait therapy. Even if someone just signs up it will still be super relevant to him.

As @Akers Digital mentioned, you could even push some of your new or pre-order bikes to them. Since it's probably a one time thing making a flow would just add complexity. I would just create a timeline, add multiple moments you're going to send out a mail (once every 2 or 3 weeks) and keep them informed. Then if this happens again in the future you can create your flow and recycle your emails. It's all about keeping them informed.

Maybe you could even have them pre-order the bike already instead of waiting until it's back in stock.

Hope it helps!

Omar Lovert // Polaris Growth // Klaviyo Master Platinum Partner

We help with e-commerce growth through CRO, Klaviyo and CVO

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hey @Omar and @Akers Digital 

Thanks for your replies and great suggestions. Actually we are a handmade frame maker. We don’t change our models every year and this was one of those products which there isn’t an equivalent because it is a Touring Frame. Sorry I didn’t share the specifics of the products, its pretty boring and niche. 

We didn’t know this delay would happen.

Just to confirm you are suggesting sending a campaign, maybe today and then scheduling another in three weeks. I would create a segment using the filters where customer signed up to BIS and product name.

The only thing I can think is if this happens again for a different model, perhaps only in size small and there is a customer is waiting I’ll need to constantly monitoring the stock delays whereas an automated flow would do the work for me. 

Thanks,

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

@clairebeaumont one upside of testing this approach with the campaigns now is you can confirm your segment of recipients, and be precise in identifying who they are before you build a flow that would send multiple emails.

Then you can always save campaign emails as a “template” and load those into an evergreen flow to be used later so you don’t have to do so much manual effort long term. 

@Akers Digital and @Omar make great observations about the benefits of pre-orders, or cross-sells as a broader strategy consideration. Even if it doesn’t apply right now, these are useful recommendations to save for later if you haven’t already considered them. 😊

Sidenote - LOVE the discussion that’s come out of your question!

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

@clairebeaumont touring bikes are most definitely niche, but not boring! Hopefully some of these ideas help. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +44

@clairebeaumont a bit of a late reply but I would actually let people pre-buy they bikes already (if you can handle the production) but scarcity sells! :-)

Omar Lovert // Polaris Growth // Klaviyo Master Platinum Partner

We help with e-commerce growth through CRO, Klaviyo and CVO