Skip to main content

Best flow email naming convention?

• 18 June 2024
  • 1 reply

Hey people!

I've been reconsidering the best way to name a flow email so that it's intuitive for any collaborators to see.

I thought I had found the perfect nomenclature (see image below), but alas I have ran into so many problems when: adding a conditional or email at the beginning of the flow, requiring me to change ALL the subsequent ones.

Question: what's the best naming convention you came up with??

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +25

Hi @Send-That-Email, welcome to the Klaviyo Community!

This is an interesting question. Generally, I’d consider you to simplify the naming of your email conventions so they’re more “evergreen” and can be accurate for longer periods of time, even if you make revisions to the flow.

The first principle I’d recommend you consider is grouping flow emails into “branches” depending on if you’re using a conditional split, and if you are - then which branch of the split the email is corresponding to. 

Then, I tend to keep it really simple. If each flow has a series of emails, for example: E1, E2, E3, etc. then the second branch of the flow might look like E1a, E2a, E3a as prefixes to the name of the email.

This might get more complicated depending on how many conditional splits and branches there are in your flow, but that might also be resolved by considering if the overall logic of your flow is more complex than it needs to be. Sometimes, it’s better to create a separate flow than use too many conditional splits. 

Klaviyo can certainly handle the complexity, but the more complex the logic of a flow becomes, the harder it is for your team to maintain over time, and the more likely it is that along the way there will be one small detail that’s changed and ends up “breaking” at least one part of the flow.

After that prefix, my agency’s team limits our email names to ≈ 3 word descriptions so it’s easy to read and quickly identify which email you’re looking at.

Then we’ll use a utm-parameter style “code” to identify the flow as a suffix to the email name. This is most helpful when trying to identify which email is showing up in a Shopify report, or Google Analytics report, and you’re wanting to supplement the existing utm parameters attached to the email links. 

Here’s an example of how this might look all together in a Welcome Series flow:

E1: welcome, discount offer [ws]

E2: brand story [ws]

E3: top 3 sellers [ws]

Then let’s say the discount offer is only given to people who are making their first purchase, so you need to use slightly different copy for the “E1” that’s sent to existing customers who just subscribed to the newsletter list. 

You’d have a conditional split before the first email is sent, then the email going to existing customers might be named something like “E1a: welcome [ws]”

Hopefully this is helpful to you!

Warmly,

Gabrielle