Best way to get feedback on email content?

• 25 January 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +4

Hey everyone,

I write emails that sometimes have actionable steps, advice etc. 

I want to get more feedback from my list in terms of what emails they find interesting or helpful. 

Was wondering in what ways I could generate some of the feedback.

One idea was to create some sort of rating system at the end of the email. 

Like:
“Did you find this email helpful? Yes/No” 

But don’t know if that’s a good idea or how to make it work from a technical perspective. 

Please share your experience, ideas, advice. 

Dov 2 years ago

Hi @PaulZenymarketing,

Thank you for sharing this with us in the community.

Typically whenever you are collecting feedback from your email list, we recommend doing so by collecting user preferences.

On a high-level, when you collect user preferences, (which can be anything really, from how often they want to be emailed to preferences for certain products) they are expressed on the user profile as custom properties, at which point you can segment your list based on those collected properties. For example, if your custom property is “Enjoyed My Email on X” with the Value of “Yes”, you’d create a segment like the following: “Properties about someone > Enjoyed My email equals Yes” 

Once you have the segments set-up, you can simply review the membership count in the segment to help guide your decision making i.e. there are 500 people in my segment - Enjoyed My Email on X = Yes. You can compare that number to the total number of people the campaign or flow was sent to, to give you an idea. You’ll likely want to be a lot more granular than the “enjoyed my email” example when collecting properties (that was just a general example) you can really get as granular as you’d like to better understand users’ thoughts on your emails.

My colleague @David To does a nice job explaining this in more detail (including the different methods to collect preferences as custom properties) with relevant links in the thread below, I recommend checking that out for more information on getting everything together:

I hope this high-level explanation helps you better understand the theory behind this to get you started, and you can let your creativity flow from there :) Thanks for being a member of our community.

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @PaulZenymarketing,

Thank you for sharing this with us in the community.

Typically whenever you are collecting feedback from your email list, we recommend doing so by collecting user preferences.

On a high-level, when you collect user preferences, (which can be anything really, from how often they want to be emailed to preferences for certain products) they are expressed on the user profile as custom properties, at which point you can segment your list based on those collected properties. For example, if your custom property is “Enjoyed My Email on X” with the Value of “Yes”, you’d create a segment like the following: “Properties about someone > Enjoyed My email equals Yes” 

Once you have the segments set-up, you can simply review the membership count in the segment to help guide your decision making i.e. there are 500 people in my segment - Enjoyed My Email on X = Yes. You can compare that number to the total number of people the campaign or flow was sent to, to give you an idea. You’ll likely want to be a lot more granular than the “enjoyed my email” example when collecting properties (that was just a general example) you can really get as granular as you’d like to better understand users’ thoughts on your emails.

My colleague @David To does a nice job explaining this in more detail (including the different methods to collect preferences as custom properties) with relevant links in the thread below, I recommend checking that out for more information on getting everything together:

I hope this high-level explanation helps you better understand the theory behind this to get you started, and you can let your creativity flow from there :) Thanks for being a member of our community.