Solved

Can a customer be twice in the same flow?

• 27 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi!
We created a nice and extensive flow for post purchase. What happens if someone is already in the flow, and then re-orders a specific product? Will they directly opt-out from this flow and opt-in from the beginning again as they are now a renewed “placed order” customer in the flow?

Just want to avoid that more emails are sent, possibly including upsell emails in future, while the customer in the meantime could’ve already ordered it.

Happy to hear from you guys!

icon

Best answer by bluesnapper 28 October 2023, 12:47

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Welcome to the community @hiskebraaksma 

For metric-triggered flows, such as a placed order event, a contact can enter the flow more than once - each time they trigger the event metric (place an order in your case), unless there are trigger/flow filters that exclude them.

So, in your example without filters, a purchaser will re-enter the flow if they purchase again.

If you want to restrict your flow so a repeat purchaser won't enter it, you must add a flow filter as shown below. With that in place, only new customers will enter and complete the flow once, even if they purchase again while in the flow.

Does that answer your question?

Regards

Andy

Badge

Hi Andy!

thanks fot your quick feedback. I think that I’m understanding what you are saying.

In short, I don’t see a problem that a customer runs through this flow everytime he is triggered by the metric trigger. That part is clearly described by you too.

An example problem would be that the customer is already in the flow round 1 and he decides after email #2 to purchase a product A. We would’ve want to upsell product A in email #3. Because of his purchase, the customer is triggered by the metric trigger to re enter the flow as we use Placed Order as metric.

Will this customer still continue his original flow (so he will receive the email #3 upsell of Product A, which he just already bought)? 

Will his re entering of the flow automatically mean that his original flow has stopped?

thanks in advance for clearing this out!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Hi @hiskebraaksma 

If you want a contact to stop receiving any of the messages in your flow after they purchase while they’re in the flow, you need to add the condition below as a flow filter. That condition will be evaluated at each message step. If they have purchased while in the flow, they’ll be skipped. 

If you want to have conditions that are more product-specific about what they purchase, you’ll need to add conditional splits or filters on the individual email messages.

Let me know if that answers your question

Regards

Andy