Solved

Can I take a pre-exisiting list and subscribe them to our main newsletter list?

• 26 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello!

I am looking at sending an email campaign with an intro to our company (a marketing email), but they’re taking part in an upcoming trade program/contest and the program owners have given us this list of emails to send an email to.

They DO accept marketing, but I want to send them this initial email first, and would like them to join our main newsletter list at a later time (after this email has gone out). However, anytime a contact is added to our newsletter list, they go into our welcome series. I do not want them to receive our regular welcome series email. I have created a separate list that i will send this campaign from.

I know I can add a customized profile property tag when uploading this CSV ie. “Brand Tag” and can manually upload this list again to our main newsletter list and add a flow filter to the Welcome Series Flow of “Customized Profile Property Tag” does not equal “Brand Tag”.

• I guess my question is, would the above be the correct way to do it?
  • Or is there a way to move this list to the main newsletter list in an easier way (instead of re-uploading them)?
  • OR do i just upload to our main newsletter list at the start and ensure the flow filter is turned on with the “customized profile property tag” does not equal “Brand Tag”.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by ebusiness pros 26 February 2024, 21:41

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @LM0721 - glad to see you here in the community!

This is a great question, and I encourage you to be cautious in your approach. Depending on how you handle the onboarding of these subscribers, you could be at risk for a significant spike in spam complaints after sending an email to this list… 

I answered a very similar question recently, so please check out what I recommended here 

That should help you get started with onboarding this list in a way that protects your sender reputation, and supports the retention of new subscribers that result from your partnership with this brand!

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Gabrielle, thanks for getting back to me!

Confirming these profiles have opted in for marketing emails from us + the brand we’re partnering with.

I guess my main question was, what would be the best way to bring them into the main newsletter list if I don’t want them to receive our welcome series flow. (It’s trigger the moment anyone is added to the main newsletter list).

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @LM0721 

I think your approach is spot on. Add a custom profile property to your CSV file and add the same condition to exclude the property from the welcome series flow. It will add them to the correct list without the profile moving through the flow.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks so much Stephen :) I’m going to go ahead with this approach.