Solved

Can Klaviyo + Shopify accomodate a subscription model for an apparel brand?

• 8 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi Klaviyo Community,

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. 

This question isn’t for myself but for a friend. She sells medical apparel and she has many repeat buyers. 

She wants to implement a subscription type model to her business to capitalize on her repeat buyers. 

So for example, a customer who buys over a certain value gets told they have the option to subscribe to her VIP program. 

We haven’t worked out all the kinks but basically, she wants to ask for a monthly fee from them and they get access to exclusive deals every 3 months (so 4 times a year) like choose between Product A or Product B and get a large discount and free shipping. 

I saw Lulumelon and a number of other brands do various types of subscription models. 

Ideally, we don’t want to use another tool to achieve this - we’d like to just use Klaviyo and Shopify but I’m not sure this is possible. 

Has anyone got any experience or tips for us? 

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Warm regards,

Smiley Rox

icon

Best answer by Kylie W 9 October 2023, 00:37

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

Hi @smileyrox 

Wow sounds like an exciting opportunity! 

Based on what you have provided, Flows are going to be your best friend! And the use of conditions and triggers to send specific information about deals/offers to these customers.

Paying for the subscription is an interesting one.
There is certainly a way to do this with only Shopify - you could offer a non-physical “product” that is purchased (ie; the subscription) and then when this product is purchased this could enter the customer into a desired flow (as part of the condition). If this is something you did, I would also recommend that these customers also get a Shopify Tag to easily identify these orders. 
This way they can enter a segment too and you can ad-hoc email these customers in this segment.

You would also want to consider the anniversary date / subscription renewal - again, the use of Flows are going to be best here as an advanced notification and reminders. 

This is just a high level view of how it could work and if the fundamentals meet your criteria, then we can absolutely deep dive on each of the flows with the conditions and triggers needed as the extent of the flow itself. 

I’m sure some of the other Klaviyo Champions will have some insight they can share as well, so tagging them here @Ashley I. @chelsgrove @ebusiness pros @Bobi N. 

Good Luck!

Kylie

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Thank you @Kylie W - appreciate it. We’ve done a fair bit of reading up and I think her collection is to small and she doesn’t have the volume of orders to create a successful subscription model. So we’re going to put this on the back burner right now and focus on other ways to grow.

Appreciate you!

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Thanks for the tag @Kylie W! @smileyrox this is a really interesting strategy idea!

I’m glad you and your friend were able to do the research to determine whether or not there’s sufficient order volume to offset the effort put into building a flow system like this. 

One thing you could recommend to your friend now, is she could start asking her list what their interest in a subscription model is, so that she could gauge what the response would be like BEFORE she comes back to building this out later with a higher volume of orders. You could use a custom property, and add a question to her Welcome Series flow as a “PS” section of 1-2 emails - that’s a quick way to get people’s attention and feedback in a surprisingly high visibility area of an email. 

Then for those who aren’t new subscribers, she could send her usual style campaign emails, or more of a newsletter email depending on what she does, and that question could be asked of the existing list there, using the same custom property. That might also be a good opportunity to ask people about their interest in future new styles or colors.

I’m pretty sure I’ve passed this to you before, but in case I didn’t here’s the help doc on how to configure those links to update custom properties by asking people questions in emails. (You/ your friend will need to create those properties with a test profile first)

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005255248

Warmly,

Gabrielle