Solved

Conditionals Logic Question

• 2 March 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +2
  • Active Contributor I
  • 11 replies

Hello Klaviyo Community

I had a quick question regarding Conditionals in a flow. In the attached Welcome Flow (default Klaviyo template for when someone has signed up for our newsletter), we check if they have purchased in the past.

• If they have not purchased, we want to enter them into an email series (more than 1 email).
  • Question 1: Assume they purchase after Email 1 in the have not purchased email series, do they exit the flow altogether or will they go back into the flow and receive the email 1 from the have purchased series? If this is the case, is there a way to exit someone when they do convert from the have not purchased series. Please note the trigger is based on joining the newsletter.
  • Question 2: Assume they still have not purchased after email 1, will they continue to stay in the series and receive subsequent emails until they convert?

Appreciate any input you’re able to provide. Thanks all!

icon

Best answer by Omar 4 March 2023, 14:24

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

Hi @jtao23 

Ok so there are few things about Klaviyo automations.. people always go one way and that is Down. So to answer your question “Assume they purchase after Email 1 in the have not purchased email series, do they exit the flow altogether or will they go back into the flow and receive the email 1 from the have purchased series?” the answer is No. According to the current setup they will just continue down this flow on the side of never purchased.

To answer you next question “If this is the case, is there a way to exit someone when they do convert from the have not purchased series. Please note the trigger is based on joining the newsletter.” for this you will need a flow filer “Placed Order zero times since starting this flow” this will exclude everyone who place an order after they start this flow. Or if you want just certain emails to be skipped if people placed order then you can set the same filter to the emails directly instead of the whole flow.

And your last question “Assume they still have not purchased after email 1, will they continue to stay in the series and receive subsequent emails until they convert?” yes, as it is set up now, or even if you add the flow filter suggested above, if people don’t purchase they will continue the path of the no purchasers since there is nothing that will take them our of this flow

Badge +2

Thank you so much @Bobi N. I appreciate the thorough response. Very helpful!

In regards to paragraph 2, I would then need to place the Placed Order zero times since starting this flow conditional right before Email 1 in the have not purchased flow. Is this correct?

Badge +2

Hey @Bobi N. Meant to include a screenshot of adding the conditional.

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

@jtao23 

No no.. that is not correct. I said Flow Filter not conditional split..

You need to click on the trigger box, then on the left side you will see flow filters and need to click on that one. Then add a flow filter there Placed Order zero times since starting this flow. This way if people are added to the flow and while they are in the flow they place an order they will be put out of it.

Badge +2

Got it, thanks again @Bobi N. That makes sense! I assume with the Flow Filter in place and setting it to when the flow started, anyone who has not purchased in the past, but signed up for our newsletter still goes into the has purchased flow.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @jtao23 I also recommend taking a look through our doc about the difference between triggers and filters too to get some advantage in your journey!

Userlevel 7
Badge +43

@jtao23 

Just to make sure, if you add a flow filter it has impact on all emails in that flow. If you don't want the flow to stop for those people that placed more than 1 orders already either split the flow and create to separate flows or set filters on the emails themselves (which I don't suggest doing because it's not so visible in the flow screen).

Regards,

Omar Lovert // Polaris Growth // Klaviyo Master Platinum Partner

We help with e-commerce growth through CRO, Klaviyo and CVO

Badge +2

Thanks for the note @alex.hong and @Omar

Alex: Ya, I was reading through the documentation but wanted to double confirm that’s how it works. Thanks for sending the link along.

Omar: Makes sense. We do want anyone who places an order after the flow started to exit the flow rather than stay in the flow.