Solved

Create segments and flows based on shopify customer purchases

• 21 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well!

We've recently transitioned to using Klaviyo for our email marketing and are currently working on refining our processes. We're encountering a couple of issues that we could use some help with:

Problem 1: Our current Shopify automation for assigning tags to customers based on their purchases is malfunctioning. Customers are receiving incorrect tags, which is causing some confusion. Is there a way to deactivate the Shopify automation and set up a more reliable process within Klaviyo?

Problem 2: Once customers receive the correct tags, we need to ensure they are placed into the appropriate segments. I've attempted to set up a segment-based trigger, but it's not going live as expected.

Unfortunately, due to timezone differences, communicating with the Klaviyo support team has proven challenging, and it's causing delays in our migration process.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or suggestions from the community here to help us overcome these hurdles and get our email marketing efforts back on track.

Thank you for your assistance!

Screenshot Shopify customer gets wrong tags. 
Automation in Shopify
Segment Flow in Klayvio

icon

Best answer by Sujal 21 March 2024, 14:10

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hey there @FroukeBB ! Welcome to the Klaviyo community! Let's fix those tagging & segment woes:

Faulty Shopify Tagging?

1. Deactivate Shopify automation.
  2. Build a Klaviyo Flow triggered by purchase to assign tags with custom logic. (Klaviyo Flows guide: Klaviyo Article)

Segment Triggers Not Working?

1. Double-check segment definition for accurate targeting based on tags.
  2. Verify trigger activates upon "entering" the segment.
  3. Check time delay settings if applicable.

Hope this helps, do let me know how it goes!

Badge +1

Hi Sujal, 

Is there a possible way you can give me a example step by step on how to make this flow? I’ve been reading articles for 3 days now and nothing is explaining exactly  what I want to do. Also I can not seem to find a way to trigger a flow based on a vendor. 

All flow articles are based on basic e-mail marketing abandoned cart etc. But before I can use those flows I need to set-up segments from where I can send the newsletters etc. from. Maybe I am thinking way to difficult but I am really hitting a wall here. 

Flow: starts at purchased order → Customer buys from certain vendor(s) → Customer gets tagged the vendors name → customer gets added to main webshop segment if opted for e-mail marketing → customer gets added to vendor segment if opted for e-mail marketing. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hey @FroukeBB, could you try this with the shopify tags automation!

I hope you get the image.haha.

Badge +1

I understand your drawing hahaha! But do you mean to make this in Shopify or in Klayvio? Because I’ve read that you should do automations only on one platform.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

This applies to Shopify. Yes, automations should ideally be done on a single platform. I haven't had much experience using Klaviyo tags, and I couldn't find any relevant articles either. Here's what I would do:

• Set up tags in Shopify (as shown in the previous photo).
  • Set up flows in Klaviyo like this (to avoid creating a flow for each tag segment):
    • In the flow, add splits for each vendor using the same filters.
    • You can then use the same filters for segmentation in your campaigns.