Solved

Date Triggered Flows When the Date is Nested in the Product

• 14 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hi hoping someone can help! This one is complicated :)

We sell tours and activities and have over 250 of them. For example, Eiffel Tower tours. Each tour has multiple dates and times to choose from upon booking. I want to be able to send a series of emails to people that book our tours after they book, but up until their tour begins. Some people book 2 days in advance of their tour (I’d like to send them 1 marketing email); some people book 2 weeks in advance of their tour (2-3 marketing emails); some people book 2 months ahead (6-8 emails) and some people book 6 months in advance, etc. etc.

The start and end dates and times are nested under the “ordered product” metric when imported into Klaviyo. This is because people may order multiple tours/products with different start dates and times. So “ordered product” is the trigger and the dates are the filters/splits. I want to say start time is “between 7 and 30 days away” but I can’t because the only option is to treat the dates like text and  say “between x/x/xx and x/x/xx” which doesn’t help. Then I thought I could say “at least 7 days away” but I can’t do that either for future events. I can only say “at least 7 days AGO” which obviously doesn’t help. ANY IDEAS??? Or has anyone had success requesting features like this from Klaviyo?? Thanks so much!!! 

icon

Best answer by Dov 15 December 2022, 17:40

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @TTG2023,

Thanks for sharing this question with our community.

My recommendation is to pass in the tour date as a custom property, build segments based on time intervals (I’ll explain what that means in a second) and use multiple segment-triggered flows (rather than metric-triggered) to send these marketing emails. This is because with a segment-triggered flow you can use the “date” date type which will give you more flexibility to target users based on values like “day is in the next” and other date-based properties.

Here’s an example screenshot below using a date (birthday). Using this segment you can send X amount of emails X amount of days in advance of a date (the tour date). When I say time intervals, what I mean is using “is in the next 3 months” in the segment definition and setting up as many segments as you think is necessary to target your tour dates i.e. day is in the next 6 months and triggering a separate flow off of that. You can also add time delays in the flow + as many marketing emails in each segment-triggered flow as you see fit for the given time interval i.e. 3 marketing emails in a segment triggered flow for tour date is in the next 3 months.

The one issue here is if the user books multiple tours, there’s no way to prevent the custom property for tour date from being overridden with that value. You can create multiple custom properties for each tour date to avoid this.

I hope that’s helpful. 

Badge +2

@Dov thanks for this. Do you think I could create a new custom date property for each SKU? That way it would only be overwritten if they book the same tour twice? How could I do that? Ideally I could update the profile property upon “ordered product...”

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @TTG2023.

@Dov thanks for this. Do you think I could create a new custom date property for each SKU? That way it would only be overwritten if they book the same tour twice? How could I do that? Ideally I could update the profile property upon “ordered product...”

Of course - glad I was able to help.

Yes you certainly could, it would just be more work to get that set up for 250+ tours. If you’re willing to pursue that, you’re correct a tour date would only be overridden if they booked the exact same tour twice. 

In terms of the solution, you can use our Track API to update both a custom property and add an event i.e. ordered product to the profile’s timeline along with the tour name as the property and its date as the value. 

I hope that’s helpful.