Solved

Does the Time Delay reset?

• 17 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
  • Contributor I
  • 2 replies

We have a custom flow with custom metrics that has to do with customer submitted quotes. They put products into their cart then submit that cart as a quote. Our team looks at the quote, makes any pricing changes and sends it back to the customer. The customer then accepts the quote and pays for it.

We’re sending a metric to Klaviyo for when they submit their quote (Placed Quote), when our team sends the adjusted quote back to them (Approved Quote) and when they purchase the products in the quote (Converted Quote).

We have a flow set up that is triggered by the Approved Quote and three days later if they haven’t Converted Quote we send them a reminder email.

However there are some customers that may change their quote or ask for a better deal after Approved Quote which results in a back and forth between them and our team. On some occasions this can take several days. 

What I would like to know is does the 3 day Time Delay reset every time the Approved Quote metric is sent effectively triggering the flow or do we need to program that in some way?

Thanks.

Dale.

icon

Best answer by retention 17 February 2023, 02:59

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @Dale, welcome to the community - I noticed this was your first post!

I really like the 3 custom metrics you have setup, it’s a clever application of your special use case for customer quotes and it seems like its working well except for the edge case when there are additional back and forth time.

If each time your staff updates the price (aka sends another quote to the prospect), I assume a new “Approved Quote” metric is sent to Klaviyo.  If this is so, then perhaps you can use a “since started in this Flow” and “Approved Quote zero times” as a Flow Filter.  This will exit any existing users in that Flow and start them over at the top.  I’m not sure if this will mutually exclude and also allow them to re-enter the same Flow, but it’s worth giving it a shot and let us know if it works.

Here’s an example of the “since starting this flow” that’s commonly in the Abandoned Cart Flows as an example:

Hope this helps!

Badge +1

Thanks for the suggestion Joseph.

I tried setting up that additional flow but the profiles that Approved Quote again stayed in the flow. Doing further research I found this is expected, the profile will continue through the flow (though an email won’t be sent to them) and will exit at the end of the flow (in our case 3 days after they entered).

So while this stops them from getting the email after 3 days it doesn’t restart them in the flow. I assume this is because of the $event_id which is the same as our internal id for that quote which doesn’t change. If we change the $event_id value (e.g. 1234 changes to 1234a) will that restart the flow for this particular customer?

Badge +1

Just a quick note to say that this system now works pretty much the way I thought it would in the previous post.

For those playing along at home we used the quote’s unique id as the $event_id which is a no-no if you need to keep taking quote out of the flow and restarting them.

So in our case we used their quote id and a revision number to fill the $event_id field (e.g. 1234-1, 1234-2, 1234-3...). When a customer asks for a quote they get the first revision as their $event_id. If they then request that the quote be revised we send a “Cancel Quote” to Klaviyo which invalidates this quote and then we re-enter the quote in the system with the next revision (in this case “2”) and restart the process for them.

If they don’t accept a quote in three days after the last revision has entered the system they get one email reminder, the rest of the revisions pass harmlessly through the system and do not send out the reminder email.

Of course they will also be removed from the system if they accept the quote and buy the items.

Dale.