Solved

Dynamic coupon code for every three products purchased?

• 25 April 2024
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5
  • Active Contributor II
  • 16 replies

Hi, this takes a bit long to explain. But we have this loyalty program where customers get a 33 % discount whenever they buy three products. They can use this discount on their next buy for a fourth product. 

We have Klaviyo integrated with Magento 2.

So, the way I would like to set it up is:

1. Set a segment: customers who bought three products.
  1. Set a flow: send dynamically generated code.

This part seems easy.

The tricky part is, how to count products ordered across various purchases?

For example. It is typical customers buy 5 products for a certain discount. So two products would have to wait for another purchase to make a customer eligible for another 33 % discount coupon.

And how would I reset the count once a customer gets a code. I probably can’t filter him our from entering the flow again.

I hope this is not confusing, but if anyone has ever done something similar, I will be very grateful. Thank you. 

icon

Best answer by bluesnapper 25 April 2024, 18:59

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @Iztok, glad to see you back in the community!

Given the specifics of this discount structure, you’ll need to configure what could become a complex system of flows, and potentially custom profile properties to add customers to specific segments based on what they’ve done. Especially if you’re trying to split between individual items in an order, and not just the overall order itself. 

The Ordered Product event will help you get that level of specificity, and might be the place to start for a flow trigger rather than the Placed Order event (holds all products in a single order). 

However, I wonder if a simpler, more sustainable path is for you to offer a loyalty program instead? That could take care of the tracking purchases, and calculate a discount automatically that’s specific to each threshold the customer reaches, depending on how you set those thresholds. 

Happy to discuss further. Also, the other Champions might have insight that could be helpful too! @retention @Bobby @Omar @bluesnapper @AlexandraPalau  @Adam Ragsdale @Ashley I. @In the Inbox @Spark Bridge Digital LLC @Bobi N. @KatherineB @Kylie W @DavidV @Victoria_ap_G @StefanUE @Casperackermann @Bethany D. @annasophiefc 

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Hi @Iztok and thanks for the shoutout @ebusiness pros 

As you say, it's straightforward to achieve the first part of your use case: send a dynamic discount when a customer first reaches 3 products ordered -  a segment condition 'order product at least 3 overall time' plus a segment-triggered flow from that.

However, contacts will only enter that segment/flow once when they reach 3 or more products, so a customer purchasing 5 products in their first order will get the initial 33% offer but they won't trigger the flow on their 6th purchase. 

One approach that I think will work is to create a metric-triggered flow so a customer meeting the flow conditions will enter it each time they order. Example flow below for 3, 6, 9 products. Notes:

•  I’ve done this with conditional splits but you could have a linear flow with the conditional split conditions as additional filters on each email instead.
  • The trigger has a profile filter ‘Ordered Product is at least 3 over all time’ so only those profiles will enter the flow. The conditional split then funnels them to the correct email/discount code.
  • you will need to create a dynamic 33% discount code for each email ie for 3, for 6, for 9 etc
  • Customers who do not have 3, 6, or 9 products etc over all time will exit the flow without receiving an email.

It’s quite unwieldy, particularly if customers repeat purchase a lot. So, I think @ebusiness pros suggestion to look for a loyalty app is the way to go!

What do you think?

Regards

Andy

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Great advice from both. Thank you. I have to say I never put that much attention to difference between “ordered product” and “placed order” … So this alone made my day better :). I am open to either solutions. Loyalty program or a complex flow. Wouldn’t be the first with various conditional splits.

We are in a food supplement business. We have this very basic and simple loyalty program. Regular discounts where you buy 3 (21% off) or 5 products (25 % off).

Our customers are very used to it and I believe it works retention wise and growth wise. Loyal customers feel just as safe this way as would with loyalty.

One product is mostly enough for a month. Also, some of our products are seasonal.

We have a 40 % retention within a year. Meaning customers buying more than just once. But that potentially means 10 products and thus 3 coupons (33 %) 

I would have to check how many repeat purchases we really have. I am pretty sure our most loyal customers are with us for years, so I would probably have to go way beyond 9 with a flow. 

I thought there might be a way to reset the counter in Klaviyo after every coupon given. 

The way this coupon is set domestically is customers collect then physically (found on boxes of every product) and send them physically or even photograph them and send photos.

This is an old system that has many flaws, and we would like to modernize it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Hi @Iztok Glad that @ebusiness pros and I could help

Because you have a healthy repeat business with customers replenishing their supplements regularly (congratulations!), another approach to consider is to add a subscription app.

This helps with retention/LTV by including a recurring discount for subscribers. You can also offer additional discounts when a customer hits your order breaks.

As one of my clients succinctly put it, “It’s great to know what my minimum sales will be for the day before I even get out of bed...

Unfortunately, I don’t know what subscription apps are available on Magento; I use Bold Subscriptions for Shopify, and it’s very good.

Have a great weekend!

Andy 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi @Iztok Glad that @ebusiness pros and I could help

Because you have a healthy repeat business with customers replenishing their supplements regularly (congratulations!), another approach to consider is to add a subscription app.

This helps with retention/LTV by including a recurring discount for subscribers. You can also offer additional discounts when a customer hits your order breaks.

As one of my clients succinctly put it, “It’s great to know what my minimum sales will be for the day before I even get out of bed...

Unfortunately, I don’t know what subscription apps are available on Magento; I use Bold Subscriptions for Shopify, and it’s very good.

Have a great weekend!

Andy 

Hey, thanks. We have been thinking about subscription for some time now. It hasn't come through yet because of other projects and this basic loyalty program has worked fine :).  But we will definitely think about it.

Best, Iztok

Badge +1

Yes, I’d recommend a subscription offering @Iztok . I work with a supplement company where 1 order is about 1 month supply. They have been very successful by also:

• Offering bundled options (“trial” with 2 bottles upfront at a discount, gives greater chance of seeing success with the product).
  • Offering subscriptions for monthly OR quarterly. Quarterly (3 bottles upfront) gets the best discount, increases AOV, and helps with retention as people have a fair chance to fully try the product for the right amount of time. 

We’ve built flows to support these efforts and push one time orders into subscriptions. They also have a loyalty program which offers another layer of incentives. 

Best of luck!

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

@Iztok so glad to hear you found our feedback helpful!

As you seek to modernize and improve your system, I encourage you to lean into simplifying things as often as it makes sense. Sometimes, what starts as a complex system of flows can be simplified by adding tools like a loyalty app to trigger discounts based on repeat purchases, or a subscription app to give discounts similar to a standard “subscribe and save” context. Other times, it’s actually simpler long term to maintain what at first is complex to setup with flows, but then the stable foundation is set and your team can build upon it. 

Whichever path you choose, I encourage you to start small so your team doesn’t feel overwhelmed by the changes. You likely already know this, just affirming its value (:

A few interesting things for you to consider, especially since you have a long history of satisfied customers who come back consistently.

1. I often purchase supplements from a company called Pure Formulas. Not sure what tool they’re using to power it, but I have a subscription that automatically ships my refills (SO helpful from a CX perspective).
  2. Again, not sure what tool they’re using to power this, it might be a direct feature of their subscription platform, but I earn “points” with each order that adds up to dollars off the item. They’re automatically applied to my next order, as part of my subscription “refill” being triggered.
  3. Your customers might prefer manually placing their orders, and feeling like they’re receiving something special with the email that notifies them “hey you earned another discount” or similar.
  4. They also might appreciate more automation, more helpful proactive support managing their refills. Supplements become part of the daily routine, and it’s easy to forget to refill something and then there’s that unfortunate delay between when you’ve ran out and when your refill order arrives.
  5. Huel does a great job of powering their subscriptions, and their system of flows sending proactive email reminders about subscription refills, and confirmations of refill orders, is beautifully done. Their copywriting is also very well executed, in case you’re curious to check it out.

If your team is able to manage it, now might be a great time to personally speak with your best customers. By email, by phone/ zoom, whatever you’re able to do most consistently.

That might help you learn what path will be the best one to choose, and your customers will appreciate being able to give input into the “new and improved” loyalty program you’ve built for them. 

Best of luck!

Gabrielle

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Yes, I’d recommend a subscription offering @Iztok . I work with a supplement company where 1 order is about 1 month supply. They have been very successful by also:

• Offering bundled options (“trial” with 2 bottles upfront at a discount, gives greater chance of seeing success with the product).
  • Offering subscriptions for monthly OR quarterly. Quarterly (3 bottles upfront) gets the best discount, increases AOV, and helps with retention as people have a fair chance to fully try the product for the right amount of time. 

We’ve built flows to support these efforts and push one time orders into subscriptions. They also have a loyalty program which offers another layer of incentives. 

Best of luck!

Thank you Ryan. Subscriptions are heavily on our minds and we are thinking about quarterly refills to lower our shipment costs. Best, Iztok

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@Iztok so glad to hear you found our feedback helpful!

As you seek to modernize and improve your system, I encourage you to lean into simplifying things as often as it makes sense. Sometimes, what starts as a complex system of flows can be simplified by adding tools like a loyalty app to trigger discounts based on repeat purchases, or a subscription app to give discounts similar to a standard “subscribe and save” context. Other times, it’s actually simpler long term to maintain what at first is complex to setup with flows, but then the stable foundation is set and your team can build upon it. 

Whichever path you choose, I encourage you to start small so your team doesn’t feel overwhelmed by the changes. You likely already know this, just affirming its value (:

A few interesting things for you to consider, especially since you have a long history of satisfied customers who come back consistently.

1. I often purchase supplements from a company called Pure Formulas. Not sure what tool they’re using to power it, but I have a subscription that automatically ships my refills (SO helpful from a CX perspective).
  2. Again, not sure what tool they’re using to power this, it might be a direct feature of their subscription platform, but I earn “points” with each order that adds up to dollars off the item. They’re automatically applied to my next order, as part of my subscription “refill” being triggered.
  3. Your customers might prefer manually placing their orders, and feeling like they’re receiving something special with the email that notifies them “hey you earned another discount” or similar.
  4. They also might appreciate more automation, more helpful proactive support managing their refills. Supplements become part of the daily routine, and it’s easy to forget to refill something and then there’s that unfortunate delay between when you’ve ran out and when your refill order arrives.
  5. Huel does a great job of powering their subscriptions, and their system of flows sending proactive email reminders about subscription refills, and confirmations of refill orders, is beautifully done. Their copywriting is also very well executed, in case you’re curious to check it out.

If your team is able to manage it, now might be a great time to personally speak with your best customers. By email, by phone/ zoom, whatever you’re able to do most consistently.

That might help you learn what path will be the best one to choose, and your customers will appreciate being able to give input into the “new and improved” loyalty program you’ve built for them. 

Best of luck!

Gabrielle

Hello, Gabrielle. Thank you for very helpful tips and pointing me to two companies. Will check them out. We have this old system of collecting physical coupons. Customers have to cut them away from products covers. They used to send it via mail, so we tried to make it easy on them by allowing them to make a photo, write dates on them and send it via email. It is not very helpful either, thus this idea of just tracking and reward it automatically. But yes, as we get into subscription and loyalty programs, we will have to rethink the whole structure.  

Best, Iztok