Solved

Dynamic Recipe/Blog Post Content for Post Purchase Flow

• 15 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I am trying to create a post-purchase follow-up email that has dynamic content (a recommended recipe or blog post) for each product they ordered.  I believe that we should be using a dynamic table in Klaviyo for this using Metafields from Shopify or ShopifyFlow .  Has anyone done this before?  If so, can you share the approach you used?  

icon

Best answer by Spark Bridge Digital LLC 19 March 2024, 17:38

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Spark Bridge Digital LLC @KatherineB @Victoria_ap_G 

Do any of you have an approach that @Reena_Morales should consider when setting up dynamic content from the metafields in Shopify?

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

@Reena_Morales It can turn into a real beast depending on how many product you have and how many they ordered.

I’ve definitely used some show/hide conditions based on a few factors like Tags stored in Shopify with the variable “{{ event.extra.line_items.0.product.tags|default:'' }}”.

So you could then build out a If statement as:

If Order has Tag #1 {{ event.extra.line_items.0.product.tags|default:'' }} = XYZ -- show this block/recipe/blog post Else If Order has Tag #2 {{ event.extra.line_items.0.product.tags|default:'' }} = XYZ Else If --- and so on into a very long string of Else If statements for every product tag type.

It can become a beast! I typically recommend your post-purchase flow maybe have splits based on collection and have them trickle down a path that matches at least one collection in their cart that then has a recipe section that matches. That could also be done via Else/If statements as well.

A bit more info on those statements here:

https://developers.klaviyo.com/en/docs/use_conditionals_in_messages

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @Reena_Morales! I love this idea to send personalized recipe content based on what someone’s ordered. 

I second Peyton’s (@Spark Bridge Digital LLC ) recommendation to leverage conditional splits, with one email per recipe (or selection of recipes). One thing that can complicate the show/hide logic is if someone places an order with multiple products, then the show/hide block might only be applicable to one of the items in that order. 

To make this sustainable as a long-term system, I recommend you identify your top 3 buckets/ categories that recipes can be grouped into. So if someone purchases A, B, and/or C - one group of recipes is relevant. Then if someone purchases X, Y, and/or Z - another group of recipes is relevant. It’s likely you could use your existing product categories to help guide this grouping of recipes…

That helps you send relevant content that feels personalized, without getting stuck by logic details specific to individual products. It also has the secondary benefit of helping people understand how your other products can be used/ get exposed to them, so you’ll likely see some cross-sell purchases come in as a result of this educational content providing value in ways that incentivizes people to buy without the hard sell ask. 

One other thing to consider - if you’re using any of those recipes as content for other flows (ex: Welcome Series) you might want to add a filter to the post-purchase email that sends the recipe in order to prevent people from receiving content that looks like a duplicate. 

Happy to answer any other questions you have about this!

Warmly,

Gabrielle