Skip to main content

Hey everyone,

I am working with a startup business that has never done email marketing before (also this is my first time doing email marketing) and we are preparing for our first product launch, which may fall near Black Friday. 

Our goal is to educate subscribers prior the launch goes live. Below are my current strategy: 

• I plan to send 8 emails between the last week of Oct and the second week of November.  Thus, I have also created a segment labeled as “Early Subscribers” subscribing within this timeframe. 
  • Another segment is “ Late Subscribers” people may subscribe in the middle of the flow and nearing to Black Friday. Thus, I am going to create 3-4 targeted emails instead of 8 as they may feel overwhelmed if they receive tons of content in a short time. 
  • The targeted emails, introducing them about the brand, teasers, etc will also be sent to early subscribers. Hence, early subscribers, may receive prolly 11-12 emails. 

Do you think this strategy works? Will sending too many emails prior the launch hurt the brand’s reputation? Any advice/ insights would be appreciated! 

Hi,

I would suggest that you segment your audience as you plan, with early subscribers receiving more introductory and teaser emails while late subscribers get fewer emails focused on immediate benefits or teasers closer to the launch date.

Also to prevent overwhelming recipients, I would suggest to ensure each email is valuable and relevant. Use a mix of educational content about the brand along with teasers to build anticipation without bombarding your audience

Hi @dberonio22,

I think the plan you outlined seems reasonable, and agree with @Fario Consulting that the quality and nature of the email dictates how it will be received. Great email and storytelling with an audience who connects with it will be asking for more!  Repetitive or “shallow” content, and to an audience who you signed up from a “giveaway” are going to tune out quickly.  The quality of the content, and the quality of the audience matters. 

Think of the last time you were engrossed in a good TV show or book, you could binge watch/read it all the way through and asking for more.  But a terrible show/book, you can’t wait to stop and skip and move on with your life. :)    

A few things to keep in mind:

• As you send, you will see how they perform, so you may want to try different things - or if your list is large enough, even conduct A/B tests along the way.  So you may learn a lot from your initial emails that may change your approach for subsequent ones.
  • Additional to your segments of “early, middle, late” - perhaps you can create segments based on their past engagement.  For example, those that are highly engaged may continue to get ever email, those who were less engage will only get the more important ones and get skipped.  You can look at Klaviyo’s guid on this here:
  • Finally, make sure to consider repurposing some of these emails into your Welcome Series (or perhaps your post purchase emails.)  Some of these introductory emails (and what you learn from them) would be great to include as part the Welcome Flow for new subscribers after the your product launch.   Remember, every day there could be someone new to the brand so you can use these sequences of emails and storytelling so that they can also get the same nurturing sequence of emails long past your launch.

Hope this helps!