Solved

Flow Filter not working - Person that purchased is getting emails for non purchasers

• 4 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

I recently set up a new coupon welcome flow that has a conditional split at the beginning. People that HAVEN'T purchased get a coupon code and some emails to drive the purchase. People that have purchased get a standard welcome email.

However, someone that DID make a purchase after entering the flow is continuing to get the welcome flow. What is wrong with my setup that it isn’t removing people when they purchase mid flow? I was under the impressions these filters only need to be applied once and people will be removed when they meet the condition later. 

Troubleshooting notes:

• I verified that the user used the same email to purchase and enter the list
  • users purchased at 2:53pm and received the next email in the flow at 6:56pm so there was plenty of time for them to be removed from the flow

icon

Best answer by In the Inbox 4 April 2024, 17:37

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @ThirtySixx 

Thank you for posting your question in the community. 

Are you able to provide a wider view of your flow and how the split is configured? 

The conditional split logic always applies to the “Yes” path. So, in the screenshot above, if anyone has ever placed an order at any time, they will proceed through the “Yes” path of your flow. If you’ve set up the flow where the “Yes” path is meant to only go to users who have not made a previous purchase, then your logic is a little backwards based on how you have the flow configured. 

If your “Yes” path is built so that only people who have NOT previously made a purchase, then you’d want to adjust the conditional split logic to:

What someone has done (or not done): Placed Order

Change “At least once” to “Zero Times” 

Over all time. 

When this logic is true, meaning someone has never placed an order, they will proceed down the “Yes” path.

I hope that helps! 

@In the Inbox 

Badge

Here is a more zoomed out image. I am talking about the “No” path, the logic seems to be correct. This users purchased between email 2 & 3 but was not removed from the flow. I can also see this user listed as “waiting” for email 4, which they should not be getting

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @ThirtySixx 

Thank you for providing the larger screenshot of the flow and clarifying the current setup. 

A couple of things…

The conditional split you have will only apply at the time a contact reaches the conditional step. So, if someone reaches the step, enters the “No” path, receives the first email with a coupon, and then makes a purchase before receiving email 2, technically the system is not rechecking if an order has been placed and they will be eligible to receive the next email.

To prevent this… add the following

1. For each email in the “no” path after email 1, you would add an additional message filter (not a conditional split, but a message filter), and set the filter as follows:

This will prevent anyone from receiving any of the additional emails in the “No” path once they’ve entered that path and made a purchase.

I hope this helps.

@In the Inbox 

Badge

Is there a way to set this up so I only have to set it once at the beginning of the flow? I was under the impression flow filters can be applied across the whole flow

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @ThirtySixx 

Yes, you can also apply a profile filter to the trigger of the flow and it will apply to all emails in that flow. 

You would still keep the conditional split you already have which looks at purchase history before entering the flow, but adding the Profile Filter to the trigger will ensure only people who have not purchased will continue to receive the emails with the coupon code.

I hope that helps!

@In the Inbox