Skip to main content
Solved

Flow filter vs conditional split

• 16 February 2024
  • 1 reply

I hope I will manage to explain this clearly.

Because we offer a 10% discount in our Welcome popup flow, we want to exclude those contacts from campaigns. In order to achieve that, we set up an action at the beginning of the flow that says “Add ‘Welcome Popup’ to the property On Flow”.

Then we create an exclusion segment with all the people that have ‘Welcome Popup’ on their On Flow property.

At the end of the flow, the property is set to remove the ‘Welcome Popup’ value and the contact can receive campaigns.

BUT.

We also have a flow filter on this Welcome flow. The filter says “Placed Order 0 times over all time”, meaning only people who have never purchased can get the Welcome emails. The flow contains 5 emails and the filter should be checked before every email.

BUT.

Before every email, we also use a conditional split to check if an order has been made during the delay. This is to ensure that the ‘Welcome Popup’ property will get removed if the contact doesn’t get to the end of the flow, but purchases somewhere in the middle.

If the conditional split says they have made a purchase, we then connect it to the “Remove ‘Welcome Popup’ from On Flow” action, so they don’t receive any more of the welcome discount emails.

This is where my question starts.

Since the flow filter checks that 0 orders have been made before EVERY ACTION - does it count the “Remove profile property” as an action and consequently does NOT remove the property value if the customer purchased (as it clashes with the flow filter)?

Would it be better to use ONLY conditional splits in this case, and to insert one right after the trigger/before the first email is sent instead of using the flow filter?

I hope I managed to be clear enough. I came across some contacts who still have the Welcome Popup property filled in, even after purchase. Consequently, they are not receiving campaigns.

1 reply

Badge

I answered my own question. Created a test flow with the same logic, just a “Has clicked 0 times” instead of Purchased. Went through with a temporary email, clicked on the email, and indeed, the property was never updated because it clashed with the flow filter.