Solved

Flow filtering based on a custom property that may or may not exist

• 4 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
  • Problem Solver I
  • 11 replies

I’m defining a flow and using the flow filter as a way to limit people from getting a message later in the flow if certain conditions are met.  For example customer pauses their account they get added to the flow (which is a date based flow).  Then later they activate their account so I set a subscription_status custom prop to active.  Then I have a flow filter which says subscription_status doesn’t equal active.

Some profiles won’t have this custom property set so my question, what happens to profiles that do not have this property set?

icon

Best answer by Irrra 4 May 2023, 22:25

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @Chops,
Welcome to the community)

If a profile does not have the subscription_status custom property set, then the flow filter condition you've set will evaluate to false for that profile. In other words, the profile will not meet the condition that subscription_status does not equal "active", but it also won't meet the opposite condition that subscription_status does equal "active".

When a flow filter evaluates to false for a profile, it does not prevent that profile from receiving the message or proceeding through the flow. Instead, the flow will continue as if the filter condition was not present, and the message will be sent to the profile as scheduled.

If you want to ensure that profiles without the subscription_status custom property set do not receive the message, you can modify the flow filter to include an additional condition that checks whether the property exists. You can do this by using the does not exist operator in combination with the subscription_status custom property. Here's an example:

Subscription_status does not equal active AND Subscription_status does not exist

With this modification, the flow filter will evaluate to false for profiles that either have a subscription_status property with a value of "active" or do not have the subscription_status property set at all. This will effectively exclude these profiles from receiving the message.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

This is perfect, I want folks who do not have this property set to receive the emails.  I add profiles as customers pause their account with a custom date prop.  Then with a date based flow they should get an email 30 days later.  However if they activate their account again before the first email I set the subscription_status to active and was hoping to use that as a way to make sure they don’t get the email.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

I'm glad I could help)