Solved

Flow notification opt-in for email address is not working

Badge +3

I’m having troubles adding an address to receive a notification email sent by a Flow. All the addresses I add don’t receive any opt-in emails.

Is it possible to manually opt-in an email to receive Flow notification emails?

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 4 March 2022, 21:46

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Hey @mscheurichpatou! I’m so sorry to hear opt in isn’t working for you. Just to make sure I understand: are you using the Flow Notification Action? If so, you’ll want to confirm the following things: 

• The user has successfully been added to the notification. You should see an “Unconfirmed” icon next to their name (it looks like a grey dotted circle) within the flow. 
  • Check your spam folder, to make sure the notification isn’t there
  • Confirm that the From email for the notification is one you are permitted to send email from. If you using a Gmail or other free email address as the “From” address for the notification, it may not be delivered successfully

I hope this helps! If you’re still not having any luck, feel free to reply here and we can do some more troubleshooting. 

Badge +3

Hi @elisegaines thanks for the info.

• Email address does have grey dotted circle
  • No messages from Klaviyo are in the spam folder
  • We’re not sending from gmail/free service

Looking back at our settings, we have a different sending domain (e.g. send.example.com) from our root domain (eg. example.com). I’m not sure which domain the opt-in emails are being sent from and if it’s causing an issue?

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Hi @mscheurichpatou

Could you try using a From address that matches the from address of a campaign you’ve sent successfully? You’ll want to use a real, valid email address that matches your domain verification settings, or the message may not send. 

Best,

Elise

Badge +3

Hi @elisegaines 

We have only one From address that all the campaigns are successfully sent from, and I’ve tried it with two now (using our root domain and our sending domain) with no success.

Could it be an issue with our email authentication method? Since our domain is already verified and we already have success with sending campaigns (and other Flow emails), it seems weird that the Flow notification action emails aren’t working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @mscheurichpatou,

Adding to @elisegaines’s points, I would recommend double checking to see if you happen to have any network filters or inbox filters in place that may be preventing these opt-in emails from being delivered to the addresses you want the notification emails to be delivered to.

David 

Badge +2

Was this ever resolved? I am having the exact same issue. 

Badge +2

@mscheurichpatou add “notifications@klaviyo.com” to your safe senders list or contact list. As soon as I did that, and then re-saved my notification with my desired email in the “to”, the opt-in email appeared. 

Klaviyo support please update your team on this because this should be a 1st step in the troubleshooting. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @hellobount,

Thanks for your ideas and I’d love to share additional info regarding that.

It sounds like you might have some filters in place and that by adding notifications@klaviyo.com to your safe sender list/contact list helped bypass this. Depending on how strict someone's network/inbox filter are this wouldn't solve every scenario. Although adding that email to a user’s safe sender is a great start, its efficiency in being a successful troubleshooting method is highly dependent on the filters a user may or may not have in place.

Thanks,

Alex

Badge +2

It’s an easy step to have someone try first instead of (like what happened to me) support telling the person “Your DMARC is not set up” (it was). I’ve been going back and forth with support on this issue for 5 days and it was an offhand comment today “oh try this maybe it will help” that solved it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @hellobount,

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Support team. Although we cannot see what exactly the case was for you in the Community, the Support team does have more info and access to your personal account, which leads to different preliminary troubleshooting steps and I can assume that they ask these questions such as DMARC for the right reasons. 

After digging into this more, I did see that the Support team brought up that it “appears that the emails are being blocked due to your domain's DMARC policy. DMARC is not a Klaviyo-specific policy and is a change made outside of Klaviyo.” I don’t believe they said that it was not set up, more the fact that you would have had to change your settings. 

Additionally, I will reiterate that yes you could check for the filter because some users again will have stricter and different filters so adding the notifications@klaviyo.com could work for some and not others. In the end, it comes to a user understanding what their restrictions are and then altering items as the user sees fit.

Best,

Alex

Badge +2

I’m not arguing with you, all I’m saying is that is a much easier first troubleshooting step than sending people down a DNS settings rabbit hole. The error messages they were receiving were non-specific and not helpful. And in fact it turned out to be unrelated. 

If emails are sending just fine to everyone else, including the test emails that get sent to our domain just fine, it’s unlikely to be the DMARC . In my case, and in the OP’s case it sounds like, the opt-in email is not being received by the targets. This is indicating an issue with the notifications@klaviyo.com email so the first step should be to make sure that emails from that sender can be received by the user. 

Badge +1

Is this solved? I have the same problem, I already added notifications@klaviyo.com in my contact lists I still dont receive the notifications. How we can add the DMARC for klaviyo’s emails in our domain settings. HELP!