Solved

Help! Am I too late to activate winback segment before BFCM?

• 31 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

I am only starting now with preparing my BFCM emails. I do have a welcome flow and a customer thank you flow set up, but not a winback flow.

My winback segment is populated with 1500 people who didn’t purchase in the past 180 days.

What should I do NOW to make sure I can activate them for BFCM and what should I do DURING BFCM?

We are planning to do a 2 week site-wide discount of 25% starting 13/11. We are selling food. 

Thank you for your help! 🙏

icon

Best answer by Spark Bridge Digital LLC 31 October 2023, 13:07

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

Hey there!

I’d first recommend they are added into your normal campaign sending if they aren’t already to see who might be viable by the time you get to BFCM. What would your audience find the most valuable in their inbox? Since you are in Food & Beverage, sending out recipes or product education might be a way to go. I also find that send a plain ‘ol text-based emails from the brand to send them a thank you, a feedback request, the inside scoop on BFCM plans can get high engagement - just make sure there is an actual link inside they could click to head back to site or take action so that you’ll know who of that win-back is a bit higher intent.

The tough part is that they are probably looking for a discount if they are very cold subscribers by this point but as long as you hit them with some engaging content in their inbox this can be one route to get them re-warmed up in time for Black Friday.

But would love any other Community Members to chime in with their ideas!

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hi @anneleenvm, thanks for posting in the Klaviyo community.

@Spark Bridge Digital LLC has some great suggestions above! What I like to do (normally midway through October but it's not too late) is set up a cascading winback flow. I use a good performing campaign that is not time sensitive, and I add it into the flow with conditional splits so that it only sends to 10% of the winback segment each day. This helps to keep deliverability in check ahead of the busy season, while also re-engaging as many subs as possible. 

Hope this is helpful,

Katherine 

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

@Spark Bridge Digital LLC I love what you recommended with the plain text email and giving the inside scoop on BFCM! I’m going to find an excuse to test this with one of my clients now…

@KatherineB I love this cascading waterfall idea to control sending of a flow to a cold segment. Do you build multiple emails into this flow? Or instead use it to send a repurposed campaign in multiple rounds automatically? 

@anneleenvm in my experience, cold segments can respond well when you give them something BEFORE asking them to buy again. The recommendation to share a recipe illustrating how your product can be used that @Spark Bridge Digital LLC  is especially useful here. Then, based on how people do/ don’t engage with that email, you can gain some insight into what kind of BFCM offer you want to make/ how you want to present it to these people. Sometimes an editorial email with no direct CTA for purchase will still generate orders, since people appreciate the insight into how to use your products better. That said, cold segments can be a bit of a wild card sometimes. You might find one segment has a higher percentage reactivated than the other. Using the “batch sending” feature of Klaviyo when scheduling campaigns, or the cascading waterfall flow strategy @KatherineB recommended will support your deliverability to give you the best chance of these cold subscribers seeing your email, so they can engage with it. 

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Klaviyo Champion & Marketing Lead, ebusiness pros

Userlevel 7
Badge +44

Whenever emails need to go out at a specific time and/or when people can enter a timely flow later as well most of the times it's better to send these types of emails as campaigns for all those who are match the audience. 

Omar Lovert // Polaris Growth // Klaviyo Master Platinum Partner

We help with e-commerce growth through CRO, Klaviyo and CVO

Badge

Hi all, thank you so much for your help. Thought I wanted to quickly update you on the results! 

And also, how to follow up now… 
So I followed the great tips of @Spark Bridge Digital LLC and sent a text-only email from myself as founder to the 1500 people in the winback segment. I have included 2 free recipes, and also gave them a small scoop on our BFCM plans and product launch on Monday.
The results: 34,4% open rate, 2,7% click rate, 0,65% unsubscribes and 0 orders. I sent it yesterday morning via the 10% batch sending method. Deliverability is 99,7%. Maybe today the open rate will increase still a bit for people checking their inbox later… 

What do you think of these figures?
And, most importantly, what does that mean for my BFCM campaign launch email on Monday?
Do I include only the 532 people who opened, and do I suppress the others? Or do I include them all? 

Thanks a lot for your great advice so far! (also @KatherineB, @Omar

Anneleen 

Badge +1

@anneleenvm  - curious as to what you ended up doing for the launch of your BFCM campaign and how it has been going . 

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Congrats @anneleenvm - you’re off to a great start!

A click rate > 2% is promising for a first email sent when reactivating a Winback segment. Using the batch sending method was a smart move. Going forward, you could send in batches of 33% if you felt inclined to complete delivery faster while still supporting deliverability. 

One thing to keep in mind is since you forecast to this group that you will be doing a BFCM offer, those who engaged with the email and did not purchase might just be waiting to see what you do so they don’t miss out on that offer. 

From now till after BFCM, maybe even till Jan 1 depending on what you’re comfortable with, I recommend don’t suppress anyone in this Winback segment who is not unsubscribing themselves. Give yourself these next few weeks to send the offers to people, reactivate them, and see what happens as they enter your system of flows if they abandon carts, place orders, etc. 

I’d also encourage you to continue sending these BFCM emails to everyone in that winback segment, regardless of if they opened or not. Now is the time of year where the coldest subscribers on a list are most likely to engage, since we’ve conditioned most people to expect special offers that won’t otherwise happen throughout the year. 

After BFCM, you could quarantine the coldest people who still have 0 engagement with your emails (opens OR clicks OR orders) OR you could clean them from your list. It’s up to you!

Best of luck!!

Gabrielle