Solved

How do emails get captured in Added to Cart (abandonment flow)?

• 10 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hey everyone,

I have been looking into adding an “Added to Cart” custom Shopify event for a new Klaviyo flow.
We currently have the standard “Started Checkout” abandoned cart flow working but I want to try and capture more casual browsers

I want to understand if (and how) Klaviyo will be able to capture those casual browsers’ emails if they do not physically enter their details throughout their browsing journey. 

We don’t currently capture emails via a pop-up, and the only way we get subscribers is either via a sale discount code, or subscription sign-up.

Cheers!
Ben & Caleb

icon

Best answer by In the Inbox 10 January 2023, 16:18

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +29

HI @Ben and Caleb 

Thank you for posting your question in the community. 

The Add to Cart script requires the Viewed Product script as well to function correctly. The event will only fire if someone has been previously cookied and opted in to receive your emails. So, a new user would have to either sign up via your sale discount code, subscription sign-up, or Started Checkout, before the Add to Cart script would be affective in triggering users into a flow. 

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

@In the Inbox 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @Ben and Caleb,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community!

To put it plainly, if a visitor doesn’t provide an email address (or originated from a Klaviyo email), these visitors would essentially be anonymous browsers and are not trackable through Klaviyo. When a visitor provides their email address, a web tracker/cookie is applied to the user’s browsing session making it possible to track their activity. This includes if they’ve viewed a product, added an item to the cart, and many other custom behaviors. 

For example, a visitor can browse all day on your site and have added a number of items to their cart. But without providing an email address, their behavior would not be tracked in Klaviyo. Finally, then they decide to checkout and enter their email address, a Started Checkout event would trigger - but this would mean they would be tracked going forward. 

This is why signup forms used to greet your visitors is so important. As it oftentimes offers not only a discount to them, but also a way for you to track their shopping behavior and retain them as customers in the longer term. 

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +3

For example, a visitor can browse all day on your site and have added a number of items to their cart. But without providing an email address, their behavior would not be tracked in Klaviyo. Finally, then they decide to checkout and enter their email address, a Started Checkout event would trigger - but this would mean they would be tracked going forward. 

David hello.

I am not sure I understand correctly this part you wrote - but this would mean they would be tracked going forward.

Doest this mean that if a person ads product to cart (we dont have their email yet as they are 1st time visitors) and proceeds to checkout, where they do leave the email and also leave the checkout. Does this mean that the added to cart flow will not be sent to this person in this (1st) purchase instance? (In this case the only flow that is setup is the add to cart flow. Cart abandonment flow is not set up). 

Appreciate your thoughts on this one.