How do I move subscribers out of a flow and in to my broadcast list??? (new user)

• 22 October 2023
  • 5 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

How do I move subscribers out of a flow and in to my broadcast list??? I cannot figure this out anywhere.

NOTE: I’ve tried using the search feature in the community here but it does not work...returns 0 results every time.

Thanks

Ken

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Welcome to the community @Kenneth Holland 

Can you clarify a few things before an answer to your question:

• Generally, what are you trying to achieve?
  • ‘subscribers’ are contacts who have opted in, added to a list, which then triggers a flow - correct?
  • ‘broadcast’ what is the purpose of this list/segment? What are the criteria for contacts to be in it?

Then , I or others, can suggest a solution to your use case.

Regards

Andy

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @Kenneth Holland,

In addition to the questions @bluesnapper asked above, I wanted to offer one consideration. Klaviyo is a contact-centric platform vs. list-centric platform. This allows users to be on multiple lists or not on any lists and see eligible to be included in segments or flows without having been subscribed to a specific list.

In the case of flows, these series of messages are based on an event that triggers a contact into the flow. Sometimes that event is “subscribed to a list” but it might also be “placed order,” or “started checkout,” etc. 

What time of flow are you trying to migrate contacts from to your broadcast list? If for example, you are integrated with Shopify, anytime someone subscribes via a Shopify form, they will be added to that list automatically.

But, because Klaviyo is not list-centric, you could also use a segment to combine people from multiple lists or other engagement that you can use to send broadcast emails to. 

Please let us know your feedback on the questions above, and we can help provide more specific recommendations.

Best,

@In the Inbox 

Firstly, thank you for your responses. :)

Here's what I want to do:

1. Subscriber comes in to my flow as a new subscriber ands the flow sends them a welcome series of emails.
  2. After the subscriber has completed the flow (and received the welcome series) the sub is moved to another list (segment?), which is my ‘broadcast’ list.

The goal is for the new subs, while they are in the flow and welcome series, to NOT receive the broadcast emails until they are done with the welcome series.

Pretty basic stuff.

I read somewhere that you cannot move subs from one list to another (there seemed to be a lot of pushback to this), but I’m sure Klaviyo has a reason.

I would like to keep this as simple as possible.

Thanks!

Ken

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

No problem @Kenneth Holland 

The most obvious approach is to create your 'broadcast' audience as a segment with one of the criteria to include only contacts who have received your final welcome flow email. 

However, I don't like using a definition based on message names/subject lines equals [value] as it can mess up if those are changed, or if you add additional messages so it's no longer the final one in your flow.

Here's an alternative approach below. In your welcome flow as the first step, create a custom profile property 'welcome_flow_status' and set its value to 'in_flow'. Then as the final step in the welcome flow, update that property to 'completed_flow'. 

Your broadcast segment just needs to exclude any contacts who have a ‘welcome_flow_status = in_flow’ (shown below), or alternatively only include ‘welcome_flow_status = completed’

Test all this before going live!

It would be nice though if Kalviyo offered something like 'is/is not in flow [XYZ]' as standard.

Hope that helps

Andy

first and last steps in your welcome flow

add to the broadcast segment as an AND statement

Thanks bluesnapper for your response. I still can’t figure out how to achieve what you outlined but am working on it.

Frankly, I’m stunned there isn’t a simpler solution. What I want to do is the most basic of autoresponder strategies.

This is ridiculous.

Ken