Solved

How to add a tag to a profile from a text link click

• 31 August 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi Klaviyo Community,

I have various text boxes in one of my email automations. I want to be able to add the tag: “interest: namecategory if someone clicks on that text box. 

How can I achieve this?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by KatherineB 31 August 2023, 15:48

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hi @smileyrox I love using  profile property update links! Here is the configuration you will use for the links: 

{% update_property_link 'profile_property' 'property_value' 'redirect_link' %}

profile property’ would be “interest” in your case and the ‘property value’ would be whatever the namecategory is. The ‘redirect_link’ is where the user will be redirected after clicking the link. Usually goes to a page on the website, or a blog about the topic they clicked if applicable.

*Please note, when using profile properties & values, the properties need to be written exactly the same - same spacing, same capitalization, etc. (ie. Hello would be a separate property from hello)

This article talks in more detail about how to set these up.

Good luck!

Katherine

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @KatherineB 

You’re so helpful. Thank you! 

Do I go ahead and create segments based off of these interests now or does it happen automatically?

Thanks again!

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

@smileyrox You can create segments based on the interests. 

Properties about someone where interest = nameofinterest

However, you will not be able to see the interest variables in Klaviyo until they are active by someone choosing one.

In order to make your segments ahead of time, you can work around this by going to a test profile (for instance, your own profile) and adding the custom interests to your profile - then they will be viewable when building your segments. 

Happy segmenting!

Katherine

This was super helpful, but I was wondering if there are other properties you can change or add to with link clicks. In the solution you provided, it puts customers into either category A OR category B. What I’m looking to do is allow customers to be in categories A AND/OR category B AND/OR category C. Do you know how I could do that?

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hi @benks this is a great question, and I haven’t found a way to do this effectively. One work-around solution could be to redirect the link in the profile property update to go to a landing page that asks someone what other categories they are interested in. You could use an embedded form on that page and subs would be able to check off as many as they want, and all of them would be added to their profile. 

In the email itself, I don’t think there’s a way to let subs choose more than one category, because if they click category A, and their profile updates to that, then they go back and click category B, that will override the previous value of the property; but if you do it as a drop down or checkbox on a form, they can choose as many as they want.

Do any of the other Champions have any ideas? @Omar @In the Inbox @Gabriel L. @Akers Digital @Bobi N. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try that on a future campaign.

I have Klaviyo integrated with Shopify currently and I’m attempting a workaround at the moment using Shopify Tags. I’m using a combination of the “Update Profile Link,” segmentations, flows and Shopify tags - although it doesn’t seem to be working.

Here’s the workaround I’m attempting:
1. Customer clicks on an Update Profile Link, showing interest ffor X, Y or Z.
2. Separate segmentations collect Profiles with Interest of X, Y or Z.
3. Flows Trigger when Profiles Enter Segmentation with corresponding Interest of X, Y or Z
4. Flow Updates Profile to have Shopify Tag added.
5. Next Campaign gets sent out, customer repeats process and either shows interest in same option, or a different option, and the process is repeated, with an additional Shopify Tag Added.

The only problem is, that it’s breaking at the flow trigger. Profiles are not entering the flow, after successfully being added to the segmentation.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try that on a future campaign.

I have Klaviyo integrated with Shopify currently and I’m attempting a workaround at the moment using Shopify Tags. I’m using a combination of the “Update Profile Link,” segmentations, flows and Shopify tags - although it doesn’t seem to be working.

Here’s the workaround I’m attempting:
1. Customer clicks on an Update Profile Link, showing interest ffor X, Y or Z.
2. Separate segmentations collect Profiles with Interest of X, Y or Z.
3. Flows Trigger when Profiles Enter Segmentation with corresponding Interest of X, Y or Z
4. Flow Updates Profile to have Shopify Tag added.
5. Next Campaign gets sent out, customer repeats process and either shows interest in same option, or a different option, and the process is repeated, with an additional Shopify Tag Added.

The only problem is, that it’s breaking at the flow trigger. Profiles are not entering the flow, after successfully being added to the segmentation.

** Edit - This system IS working. Customers are entering the flows, and getting tagged by Shopify. **