Solved

How to best set up flow' structures for email frequency preferences?

• 4 November 2023
  • 6 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Hello Klaviyo community,
I hope everyone’s having a great day.
I am Dang, and I believe it’s important to email people at the frequency that they prefer. It’s better to send the appropriate number of emails than bombarding the customer to make them unsubscribe. 
I’ve been collecting email frequency preferences, including daily, weekly, and monthly as custom properties.

Then tried to restructure my flows according to those frequencies. I tried to use conditional splits and time delays to stagger the email being sent based on the custom property they have applied to their account.

The problem is some of our email messages (whether from flows or campaigns) will interfere with each other.
So in a flow named A, after receiving Email A#1, instead of receiving Email A#2, a profile could receive a campaign D, or email B#1 (another email from another flow based on their behaviors).
You can check the flow in the image below for an example:

In the flow, I'll check their frequency preference, let's say Weekly, and then check if the person has received any email over the last 7 days, if not, I'll send them the next email in the flow.
If yes (received at least 1 email over the last 7 days), how should I set this up?  
Since if the last time someone received an email was 6 days ago, the time delay should be 1 day; If they received an email 3 days ago, the time delay would be 4 days, etc.

I thought of one possible solution for this to have the Time Delay action to be dynamic. I reached out to Klaviyo support and they confirmed that this measure is not available at the moment.
“We have something called smart send which can limit how many emails someone can receive within a set time period but it wouldn't be possible to have this dynamically tracked for each profile.
The only workaround is what you are doing, categorizing them based on their preference and scheduling sends to specific lists/segments based on this preference.
What you are asking for is a running log/countdown based on preferences for each profile, this isn't something the platform can do at the moment.”
-----
So again, email marketers, what are your thoughts regarding this? 

How to best set up flow' structures for email frequency preferences?

Do you collect email frequency preferences to deliver what your customers expect? If yes, how did you set up your flow’ structures according to those frequencies?
Please let me know below.
I appreciate any help.
Best regards,
Dang

icon

Best answer by ebusiness pros 6 November 2023, 20:39

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Bobi N. @ebusiness pros @In the Inbox @retention @KatherineB 

Any strategic thoughts on this one? You all are incredible experts who might be able to provide some deeper insight! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +42

@Dang Le 

How we in our company look into frequency preferences is that they are not relevant for flow emails. We only make sure people who chose specific frequency we exclude them from campaigns if they received emails lately..

But for flows we don’t use this because flows are based on action and we don’t want to risk people not getting some important flow email (discount or discount reminder for example) because of the preferences. 

Anyways flows are based on people action so when people do something they should get an appropriate emails…

I know its not the same but still just for example, no matter what frequency i chose i should get transactional emails anyway.. so it is similar for flow emails when people actions should be addressed appropriately. 

Sorry if this was not helpful much since it doesn’t explain how to do what you are asking but just wanted to share our perspective on frequency properties.. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hi @Dang Le I have to agree with @Bobi N. here. This is what we do as well for frequency settings. As you’ve pointed it, it’s very difficult to manage the individual frequency settings for subs through-out all flows. 

However, if you are concerned about too much email being sent, you could strategically choose which flows to focus your exclusion efforts on. For instance, abandoned cart is triggered from the action of putting something in the cart, and people expect that email to come, so I wouldn’t try to exclude anyone from this flow; but if you have, say, a follow up post purchase series that is more cross selling, you could exclude people from receiving that flow. I think it would be almost impossible to nail down the frequency settings correctly through splits, so you may consider just excluding the entire segments of monthly or weekly users from those flows. 

Just my two cents!

Katherine

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @Dang Le, thanks for bringing this question to the community! Thanks @stephen.trumble for the tag.

I understand your desire to respect people’s email preferences, and it’s something that my agency also makes an effort to do. Being intentional about when you’re sending emails, and to who, is one of the best things you can do for subscriber retention. 

That said, I encourage you to simplify your current system. It may be the case that people are either entering too many flows simultaneously, or you’re sending emails as flows that would be better suited as campaigns, or both scenarios may apply - depending on the email. 

I’d also affirm what @Bobi N. said is important, especially this part:

“For flows we don’t use this because flows are based on action and we don’t want to risk people not getting some important flow email (discount or discount reminder for example) because of the preferences… 

When people do something they should get an appropriate emails… for example, no matter what frequency i chose i should get transactional emails anyway.. so it is similar for flow emails when people actions should be addressed appropriately.”

As you build flows into a system of inter-connected customer journeys, the actions a customer/ profile takes while receiving one flow will impact another. This can impact the decisions you make for time delays in between emails/SMS for each flow, among other things. 

Recommendations

Here are some things you could do to simplify the flow system, and ensure that people are not receiving more than one email or SMS per day (as often as possible - sometimes people will place multiple orders, in which case they need to receive those emails even if > 1 per day)

1. Post-purchase/ Customer Thank You flows - identify where the information/ content delivered in this flow is no longer critical, and it’s okay for people to be removed from the flow queue
    1b. Then at this point, you enable “smart sending” on the following emails, OR you add filters like “has placed order 0 times since starting this flow” or similar, that remove people from the queue of this flow when they are most likely to have entered the queue of another flow, that their attention should now be focused on.
  2. Welcome Series/ onboarding flows - be intentional about the timing of this flow, as well as how many days/ weeks it lasts after optin. Set the tone for what you want majority of your subscribers to be comfortable receiving - maybe this is no more than one email per week, or maybe it’s as many as one email every 2 days.
    2b. Engagement results here will give you useful insights about people’s email preferences as well as what they’ve specifically told you with the custom property. BUT - you might consider doing things like excluding anyone who’s currently receiving the WS flow from the recipients of your campaign emails.
  3. Customer Winback/ purchase nurturing flows - once someone places an order in this flow, they most likely won’t need to receive further emails in this flow. So remove them from the queue, and let them focus on the post-purchase journey as they enter the next flow queue.

Overall, campaigns are the place where sending based on customer preference is the most impactful, as Bobi shared. You have the most control over when the email is sent, and precisely to who, regardless of what action or absence of action has recently occurred for each recipient. 

What you could also consider is across your various flows, depending on what stage of the customer journey each profile is in, approximately how many emails might someone get per week? That might then help you design your campaign sending strategy more specifically around an email preference. 

In my experience, if your flow emails are grounded in a proactive customer service approach to marketing, people are less likely to feel frustrated about receiving them, even in scenarios where multiple emails are received in the same week. Then you can focus the email frequency preference on campaign emails!

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Klaviyo Champion & Marketing Lead at ebusiness pros

Hi everyone, @stephen.trumble @Bobi N. @ebusiness pros  @KatherineB 
Thanks so much for the very useful insights,
I did made sure that people would not enter too many flows simultaneously by using different flow filters, take my Browse Abandonment Flow as an example.

I also ensured profiles would receive important flow emails that I intended to (transactional, brand story, testimonial (or reasons-to-buy), cart, checkout abandonment, etc.)
As @ebusiness pros stated, within our flows, people are indeed less likely to feel frustrated about receiving them, even in scenarios where multiple emails are received in the same week. We’re having very good (low) rates for unsubscribe and mark-as-spam for flows.
In addition, ebusiness pros’s recommendations are in-depth and important for any email marketer to consider when building flows.

Recommendations

Here are some things you could do to simplify the flow system, and ensure that people are not receiving more than one email or SMS per day (as often as possible - sometimes people will place multiple orders, in which case they need to receive those emails even if > 1 per day)

1. Post-purchase/ Customer Thank You flows - identify where the information/ content delivered in this flow is no longer critical, and it’s okay for people to be removed from the flow queue
    1b. Then at this point, you enable “smart sending” on the following emails, OR you add filters like “has placed order 0 times since starting this flow” or similar, that remove people from the queue of this flow when they are most likely to have entered the queue of another flow, that their attention should now be focused on.
  2. Welcome Series/ onboarding flows - be intentional about the timing of this flow, as well as how many days/ weeks it lasts after optin. Set the tone for what you want majority of your subscribers to be comfortable receiving - maybe this is no more than one email per week, or maybe it’s as many as one email every 2 days.
    2b. Engagement results here will give you useful insights about people’s email preferences as well as what they’ve specifically told you with the custom property. BUT - you might consider doing things like excluding anyone who’s currently receiving the WS flow from the recipients of your campaign emails.
  3. Customer Winback/ purchase nurturing flows - once someone places an order in this flow, they most likely won’t need to receive further emails in this flow. So remove them from the queue, and let them focus on the post-purchase journey as they enter the next flow queue.

Again, all recommendations are very reasonable and helpful, I’ll focus the email frequency preference on campaign emails.
Thanks so much again,
Dang

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Sounds like you’re on the right track @Dang Le! So glad to hear you found our perspectives helpful. 

Warmly,

Gabrielle