Skip to main content
Solved

How to exclude people from this flow once they make a purchase

• 9 May 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi

I’m very new to all of the form building so I’d like another pair of eyes on this to make sure I’m doing it okay!

I want to create a specific welcome flow that goes to a group of people who sign up via a specific sign up form. I am pretty sure I’ve managed to do this part thanks to some advice yesterday! BUT, I want the welcome flow of emails to stop being sent at the point a purchase has been made. Having read up a bit about it it looks like I need to add a filter (placed order zero times since starting this flow) which means that at whatever point a purchase is made the flow would stop.

Does it look like I’ve done this correctly? I don’t know how to do a test on something like this without making a purchase!

thanks very much

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Hey @LionRock 

Welcome to Klaviyo Community,

I can confirm that the flow filter you have added is correct. Anyone who has entered the flow will exit the flow if they place an order, irrespective of where they are in the flow.

Thanks,
Arpit

Userlevel 6
Badge +25

Hey @LionRock!

One thing you might consider, is whether or not you want new subscribers to receive the first email of the Welcome Series, regardless of whether or not they’ve placed an order.

In general, I recommend you do this with your flow logic. It affirms to the new subscriber they’re on the list, and if you offer an incentive for optin, delivers that incentive to keep that promise you made with the offer.

Here’s how I do this for my clients. Use a conditional split like the one shown in the screenshot below to check after the first email, if someone “has Placed Order 0 times since starting this flow.”

If the answer is Yes, they proceed and receive following emails in the flow. If the answer is No, they exit and their attention is focused on the appropriate post-purchase flow.

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Badge

thanks Gabrielle - 

Hey @LionRock!

One thing you might consider, is whether or not you want new subscribers to receive the first email of the Welcome Series, regardless of whether or not they’ve placed an order.

In general, I recommend you do this with your flow logic. It affirms to the new subscriber they’re on the list, and if you offer an incentive for optin, delivers that incentive to keep that promise you made with the offer.

Here’s how I do this for my clients. Use a conditional split like the one shown in the screenshot below to check after the first email, if someone “has Placed Order 0 times since starting this flow.”

If the answer is Yes, they proceed and receive following emails in the flow. If the answer is No, they exit and their attention is focused on the appropriate post-purchase flow.

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Thanks Gabrielle - that’s very helpful but just have one question on it (more of a clarification for me!). I was assuming by stating in the initial trigger they have ‘placed order zero times since starting this flow’ that everyone would be getting the first email straight away and therefore haven’t had time to make a purchase. The first welcome email is triggered to be sent the moment they sign up via this particular form.

Would that not be the case?  

Sorry for asking what might seem a basic question!! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +25

Hey @LionRock!

No worries at all! It’s an important question you’re asking. 

Part of why my agency structures Welcome Series flows this way is we’ve found that there’s a significant percentage of new subscribers who either submit an optin form on a cart page while they’re completing their purchase, OR they submit the optin form and shortly after doing that, place an order. This can cause an unintentional customer service problem when they don’t receive a Welcome Series email they’re expecting to… 

When you add a filter to the overall flow, that is applied to all messages (emails/ SMS) in the flow. So the conditional split ensures the first email is sent to everyone, then following messages are more specifically filtered based on purchase behavior.