Solved

How to send promo codes generated by an external system

• 11 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

I would love to figure out how to do this. Please note that we are NOT asking Klayvio to generate the promo codes. We have a partner who will sends us a list of single-use promo codes. 

1. We have a separate system (actually an external partner) who sends us a list of single-use promo codes
  2. One of our customers buys a specific product in Shopify
  3. We pull a single-use promo code from the partner-generated list
  4. We email that promo code to the customer who made the purchase (they will redeem the partner-generated promo code on the partner’s website)
  5. We never use that promo code again (for each customer we pull a new promo code from the partner-generated list of single-use promo codes)

I’m curious to see if there’s a way to do something like uploading a CSV file of these partner-generated single-use promo codes.

icon

Best answer by JessFosnough 11 January 2024, 21:00

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Hi @redwoodkaleidoscopic,

You should be able to add your generated codes by following the instructions found in this article: Getting started with coupon codes in Klaviyo

I upload CSV files of unique, single-use codes at least once a month to use in our newsletters, so if you have specific questions after reading the article, I’ll try to help!

Badge

@JessFosnough Thank you so much! That worked!!! I must have been searching the wrong keywords.

Can I re-use the same promo code in later emails in an email flow to follow up with the user that they can still use their promo code? (i.e., it won’t pull a new promo code from the list) I saw that in the documentation but I’m a bit worried because even sending a second test email seems to pull the second code sequentially from the uploaded CSV and I don’t want to have each follow-up email in the flow pull a new code.

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

That is a good question! I haven’t actually re-sent coupon codes to those who haven’t used it, but you are correct; the documentation seems to indicate that each person will only receive 1 unique code. When you mentioned sending a second test email, I am guessing you are referring to the Preview & Test option that appears within an email. If so, I ‘m pretty sure that Klaviyo doesn’t consider these “real” emails, so it will continue to send a different code, because it doesn’t keep track of the codes it sent as a test. (not 100% sure about this, but it seems to be my experience.) 

For a “real” test, I would suggest uploading just a few “fake” codes, create a campaign or flow and actually send it to yourself (or whoever needs to see it); then send another campaign (or add a second email to the flow) using the same coupon.

While Klaviyo’s Preview & Test feature is helpful, there are times when I have had to create a campaign or flow and send “real” emails to make sure everything worked correctly. Many times when I create a new flow, I automatically add TEST to the name, and once it works, I clone the flow with the name I really want. :-)