Solved

How to setup Abandoned cart in two languages?

• 29 July 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

Hello!

I am struggling with the setup of the Abandoned Cart flow in two languages.

I have seen that you can setup something like this. But I cannot figure out how can I do that because no $country is showing in the conditional split of my flow.

There are also Someones proximity to a location conditional split, but I cannot seem to figure out how could I use it to split location with separate emails.

Could someone help me?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Omar 7 August 2023, 23:56

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +44

Hi @ARPRO,

Here my suggestion would be to use the URL option and if there's an /en or /SE or /FI in the URL use that as a trigger filter (not conditional split). 

hope this helps!

Omar Lovert // Polaris Growth // Klaviyo Master Platinum Partner

We help with e-commerce growth through CRO, Klaviyo and CVO

Badge +1

Hello Omar,

Don't understand fully your answer. So that means I need to put a trigger split and under source name?? or where i need to put the /en /se. Or is it the main Trigger that I need to change?

Please clarify.

Badge +1

And can this be done with a normal newsletter subscribe flow. Where the trigger is someone subscribing to the newsletter and then it splits to those who had /en and those who had /se?

Userlevel 7
Badge +44

Hi @ARPRO since a checkout started is an action initiated by the customer itself so I would use the information of this specific action rather than someone's location (which is possibly wrong).

Are you using separate domains for each country? .com / .SE / .FI? 

Normally a trigger split would be the thing to use but since the data about the checkout URL is nested in the event data it is not shown in the trigger split.

The only alternative is to use some Klaviyo magic to create a custom profile property with the checkout URL and use that in your flow logic. This does make use of the webhook functionality to send back data to Klaviyo and if you're new to this it might be a bit overwhelming. 

But first can you please check your data?

The easiest way to do this is to go to metrics, then go to the checkout started event and then look in that list and see if you spot any American, Swedish or Finish names and click on Activity Details of some of these profiles. (see screenshot 1 below)

In the next screen you can now Toggle in all toggles (i.e. items, collections etc) and/or scroll down to $extra and look for “checkout_url” as shown in screenshot 2 below). What you want to be looking for is if the checkout URL has something that differentiates it from each language. Either a domain extension or something in the URL that shows the language. Please let me know what you've found and we'll move to the next step.

Badge +1

Hello!

I have setup my abandoned cart flow like this. And it is working fine, by separating the language from the shipping address (Country).

The only problems i'm trying to figure out now is:

Can this be done with a normal newsletter subscribe flow? Where the trigger is someone subscribing to the newsletter and then it splits to those who had .com/en and those who had .com/lv (Latvian) URL?

And how can I stop the abandoned cart emails from going into the promotion emails folder in Gmail? (Because the promotion emails don't give no notification to the customer - so the abandoned cart emails then have no value to me, because they are not opened)

Userlevel 7
Badge +44

@ARPRO the main issue with using $country is that it could also be geoip lookup. If people are using any form of VPN this might not always be the best way to differentiate on language. more info here: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005073907. What I'm saying is that your setup will work but can lead to some issues when GEOIP is not correct or if people use english but select a country in another area to ship it too (i.e. expats living abroad).

My advice would be to follow the actions of users.
What I mean with this is, based on the website url (if it contains the language) you could find out what language they (prefere to) use. The key is if you can get a language setting from the URL for those specific events.

For new subscriber flows I would either have separate forms or have one form where people can chose their language as an option. You could then use this to split the welcome flow.

Badge +1

Thank you for the answer.

I got the idea.

You didn't answer the last question. Could you provide me with the answer to this question?

How can I stop the abandoned cart emails from going into the promotion emails folder in Gmail? (Because the promotion emails don't give no notification to the customer - so the abandoned cart emails then have no value to me, because they are not opened)

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @ARPRO,

If you haven’t already, I would suggest checking out our Understanding Gmail's tabbed inbox help center article. 

Landing in the Promotion’s tab is totally normal and actually oftentimes expected by your recipients. Essentially, where an email lands in an inbox depends both on the inbox provider (Gmail) and your recipients. 

The short of it, you are sending emails that are promotional for marketing purposes. Because of this inboxes will recognize this and automatically sort it appropriately. Your recipients can always move those emails back to their normal inbox. Overtime, this will notify their own inbox of the updated preference and sort them based on their choice. 

Loving all the details shared @Omar

David

Hi @Omar,

Could you please elaborate your answer, how you would continue the setup when the URL is containing piece of information about the country (.com / .es / .fin) ? I have followed the steps you described earlier, and I have find it, but now I’m not sure how to continue. 

Thank you very much for your help.