Solved

How to use a custom confirmation email instead of the default email provided by Klaviyo

• 25 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

hello!

I would like to use a custom confirmation email instead of the default email provided by Klaviyo. Therefore, I plan to turn off the double opt-in and send our custom confirmation email to all users who subscribe to our form. After that, I would like to send a welcome email with a promo code to the people who confirm their subscription using our custom email.

Could you please advise me on how to set up this automation? Specifically, I would appreciate your guidance on which trigger to use and how to ensure that the custom confirmation email is sent to all subscribers.

Thank you in advance for your help.

icon

Best answer by retention 25 April 2023, 22:45

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @yevheniia, welcome to the community!

This is an interesting use case, so let me see if I can help.  Just to setup the context, when you use the built-in Klaviyo double-optin confirmation in the List setting, the subscribers’ email isn’t added to the List until they click on the email confirmation.  When you switch to single-optin, the email is added to the List immediately. 

To emulate the way Klaviyo works for double-optin, you need to create your own custom profile property for each subscriber to track who has double-opted in (and who hasn’t) since by default, everyone will be added to the List since you’re disabling the double-optin in the List setting.

First, I would create a simple “Email Confirmation Flow” that’s triggered on a List Subscription.  Let’s call the List “Pre Confirmed” that it’s triggered on.  

Then, I would send an email with the pseudo double-optin message with a link or button that updates the users’ profile property for “double-optin = true” or something similar to that.  You can use the “Updated Profile from Link” functionality to do this in one click for the user that takes them to a confirmation (or thank you) page.

Example: 

{% update_property_link 'double-optin' 'true' 'yoursite.com/confirmed' %}

Next, I would create a Segment of all users that have the profile property where “double-option = true” and label that as “Subscribers.”  This means that as soon as someone confirms from the first Flow, they enter this Segment. Then you can create your Welcome Series Flow based on a “Segment Triggered” and select that Segment of “Subscribers.”

From here, you can create your normal sequence of email messages in your Welcome Series Flow.

You may also want to make sure your Campaign emails are only sent to those who has that property, and you may want to go back and update any current/past subscribers to make sure they have that property as well.  

Hope this helps get you started.  If any of the above isn’t clear, just let me know.

I have the same issue. Why is it not possible to just change the design of the built-in Klaviyo double-optin confirmation? I think the use case for shopwoners is very easy: Make the confirmation email attractive and have an embedded CI design with the webpage and the newsletters. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @DazDilli!

If I understand the issue correctly, you actually can customize the double opt-in confirmation email to be on brand, by following the steps in this Help Center article (specifically, the ‘Email Confirmation’ page):

Additionally, if you would prefer to design your own custom coded consent pages, you can explore Klaviyo’s hosted pages feature. Navigate to Settings > Other > Hosted pages to enable this feature. Only accounts with a paid plan who have passed account verification have access to this setting. 

I hope this helps to clarify, and thanks for using the Community!
- Brian