Solved

Is it legal to ask our subscribers to drag our mails from promotion tab to primary section?

• 20 March 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi guys,

Hope you all doing great ✍🏻. Lately I’ve been caring more about my deliverability. I read some documents that say we should ask our customers to drag mails of my brand from promotion tab to primary inbox. IDK if i violate any rules for doing that. But it seems like a very good idea 🤔. And if it’s possible, I think I will execute it like a footer in our mail series. What do you guys think of this? Looking forward to all responses 👀

Best regards

Danny

icon

Best answer by Victoria_ap_G 20 March 2024, 14:03

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi Danny,

Great question.

I’m assuming you are talking about the dreaded ‘promotions’ tab in gmail? 

Yes, you can ask your customers to whitelist you, and request they move you to the primary tab. This isn’t illegal, but for your customers to do this, I would advise to clearly explain the benefits of doing this, think ‘what’s in it for them’.

There’s lots of other ways to improve deliverability too, this is a great article to cover the majority of bases.

Personalising your emails can help deliverability/open rate. Segmentation is also key to make sure you are sending the right content to your target audience. 

Hope that helps

Vic

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi Danny,

Glad to see you bring this question to the community! To add to the helpful feedback you already got from @Victoria_ap_G - here’s something else to consider…

One of the best times to make this ask of your subscribers is in the Welcome Series flow. It’s a natural time to give them this kind of “onboarding” suggestion, and the “what’s in it for them” is more obvious, since there’s likely an optin offer that you made. When they can see your emails more consistently (aka they’re not buried in the Promotions tab) then they don’t miss out on lead magnet delivery after joining the list, or other special offers you might send them. 

You might also check out this similar discussion in the community - the Promotions tab isn’t something I’d personally recommend spending significant time focusing on. The higher priority, is ensuring your emails don’t get flagged as spam. That has a much higher impact on your email deliverability. 

To some extent, people now expect branded emails to go to the Promotions tab. So when they’re ready to shop, they’ll naturally go looking for emails in that section of their inbox. 

I hope this helps!

Warmly,
Gabrielle