Solved

Is it possible to send random samples for certain products depending on what was viewed? (Browse abandonment assistance)

• 12 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi all.

Sorry if the title doesn’t make much sense. It’s difficult to sum up.

This is what I want to achieve…

Imagine a customer views a 3 different (digital) products. I have free samples for them all but only want to send one free sample. I want it to be randomly decided. This would be a link in an email flow to a download.

I want klaviyo to look at what was viewed and do something like this...

If a customer views only 1 product, they will be sent a free sample for that.

If they view 2 products, they will be sent a sample for one of them (randomly)

If they view 3 products, they will be sent a sample for one of them (randomly)

and so on for how many products they viewed.

Is this possible to configure? 

Thanks for any help.

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 14 October 2022, 02:49

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @The Sample Stop

Thanks for sharing your question with us!

It should be noted that the viewed product metric only triggers for each individual product viewed, which is different from how a checkout started event which groups multiple products together in one session. So while creating this exact workflow isn’t possible, as a random generator isn’t a native feature in our flows as well, I think there are some other potential workarounds to consider here that might accomplish what you’re looking for!  

First, you could create conditional splits asking whether they viewed product 1 or 2 or 3 and create a ‘we’re sending you a sample email’ down the yes path for each product. So the randomized element is taken out and they will receive the sample for the product they first viewed. However, a profile can be queued for a flow multiple times if they view multiple products in one browsing session, so they could hypothetically go through the flow the flow 2-3 times after so I would consider adding a flow filter which wouldn’t allow a user to go through the flow again for x amount of time.  

However, if you want to to create a more customized solution, you could create a custom ‘viewed product’ event that gather multiple metrics in a browsing session, like a checkout started event, and then create conditional splits depending on what products were in their viewing session. You could hypothetically build in some logic in the custom event to also have an additional data field for "Random Sample" whose value would be one of the viewed product's. This way a flow email email could pull in the product data of this one specific product at random for the random sample. However, creating a custom event would require custom coding from your developer or connecting with a a Klaviyo Partner

Hope this helps! 

-Taylor 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi @Taylor Tarpley 

Thank you for your reply. I ended up doing what you suggested about the conditional paths. I realised after I submitted that there wasn’t a way to do random things so it would have to be built out like that.

Thanks for your help