Question

Is there a way to automate flow creation

• 15 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hello there, 

I’m trying to setup a flow on klavyio, products are synced thanks to the Shopify integration but i also have my own app where i create custom metrics, lists, etc … .

My problem is that in my app, i create a list and an event everytime certains conditions are met, 

I need to be able to automatically create a flow based on the metric (custom event saying that my preorders have pass 50% of the preorder objective) and my list (containing the users who manifested an interest towards this product), 

I cannot create flows myself for each list because there are a lot of products and that would be really time consuming, so here’s a way to do this or am i doing something wrong ?

Thank you ! 

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +17

Hi @MiltonEus,

Welcome to the community!

At the moment, there isn’t an API endpoint to “Create Flow” via a POST request like there is to “Create Campaign”. So, to my knowledge, it’s not possible to automatically create a flow. It’s an interesting use case though and you may certainly not be the first to desire this type of feature.

Just to brainstorm a possible workaround, would there be a way to create an evergreen event-triggered flow off of that custom metric (e.g. “Pre-order Passed Objective”) and assigning that metric as an event to all profiles who expressed interest towards the product? Which would enable them to enter the flow?

The metric could contain a top-level property (e.g. “Pre-order Name”) with a unique value for each pre-order initiative. That would allow you to reference that property within the flow structure (if helpful).

I see where it could get complicated if each pre-order initiative requires unique flow criteria / structure. But, wanted to share a few thoughts there.

Cheers,
Bobby

Badge

Hello Bobby and thanks for your reply and your welcoming !

“Just to brainstorm a possible workaround, would there be a way to create an evergreen event-triggered flow off of that custom metric (e.g. “Pre-order Passed Objective”) and assigning that metric as an event to all profiles who expressed interest towards the product? Which would enable them to enter the flow?

The metric could contain a top-level property (e.g. “Pre-order Name”) with a unique value for each pre-order initiative. That would allow you to reference that property within the flow structure (if helpful).”

That was one of my backup ideas if i can’t manage the flow automation, i have indeed an event sended each time a user manifest his interest and i have the event when the preorder reaches 50% of target but i don’t know how to combine those two for a flow. 

I see where it could get complicated if each pre-order initiative requires unique flow criteria / structure.”

Well technically, each flow is the same, but the only thing that changes here is the product and the profiles who manifested interest towards the product. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +17

@MiltonEus I’m wondering if there’s a way to execute the below workflow:

1. When a user expresses interest in the pre-order, trigger an event (e.g. “Registered for Pre-order”) to their profile
    • This should be relatively straightforward to execute with custom event tracking
  2. When the pre-order reaches 50% of target, re-send the list of “Registered for Pre-order” events to the same profiles but with the current timestamp. Before sending the event, change the name of the event to “Eligible for Pre-order”, for example.

I’m not sure if it’s possible to execute that workflow within your app. But, it sounds like the primary purpose of the second event is to simply trigger a flow message when the pre-order has reached 50% toward its objective. It sounds like it doesn’t contain any additionally-necessary event properties?

Badge

@Bobby 
If i understand correctly what you said that’s currently what i’ve done .. sort of : 

• I create a list with all users that manifest an interest towards the product when objective reaches 50% so i already have my users (But indeed i can rework that to be an event instead of being a list since i can’t automate flows with different lists)
  • I also have my “preorderReaches50%Event” where i pass some data as i need to retrieve the product who reaches 50% of preorders (mainly a pass an Item ID because i need to know which item it is in order to fill my email template)

If i can link the item ID of my event to the Shopify product, i think your approach might work