Solved

Issues with Shopify POS sync

• 16 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

Hi,

I am trying to get a few things done regarding my Shopify POS customers, mainly creating Welcome and Post Purchase flows for just this segment. I have set up a segment of all POS customers to start, and that’s where I see my first problem - there are only 380 customers in this list who have purchased via POS over all time, whereas Shopify has over 3,000. We have been using Klaviyo for longer than we’ve had Shopify POS, so i’m confused by this discrepancy.

Assuming I can get this figured out, how should I set up flows to only target POS customers? The post purchase flow seems easy (just filter for source = pos in the trigger) but in my Welcome flow I want to make sure I’m only targeting customers who have just signed up via POS, not already through an online checkout or a Klaviyo form. 

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by kaila.lawrence 22 February 2024, 19:31

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey @kirtky97! Sounds like there are a couple things going on here, so let’s unpack them:

I am trying to get a few things done regarding my Shopify POS customers, mainly creating Welcome and Post Purchase flows for just this segment.

So, an important distinction here is that a Welcome series (flow) can only be applied at the list level and each subscriber can only receive it one time. You can’t apply a Welcome series to a segment. So, unless you’re creating a separate list for your POS customers, you won’t be able to send them a Welcome series.

there are only 380 customers in this list who have purchased via POS over all time, whereas Shopify has over 3,000.

This is a little more curious. Even though you’re talking about a segment here, is the list these profiles live on double opt-in? Usually huge discrepancies like this are due to the fact those customers did not consent to receive marketing. If you’re 100% sure all those profiles gave consent, then show me your segment conditions so I can take a deeper peek. 

Badge +4

Hey @kaila.lawrence thanks for your reply! 

I switched all Shopify subscribers to populate into a “Shopify Import” list instead of my newsletter list about a week ago, and did an import of all users who are subscribed to email marketing in Shopify for historical population. This list is single opt in, since they’ve already subscribed to email marketing in Shopify, and everyone who enters is marked as “Accepts Marketing” once they’re added to the list. 

Here are the conditions for the “POS Customers” segment… even if some of these customers haven’t accepted marketing, they should still show up in this segment until I add an “Accepts Marketing” condition right? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

@kirtky97 Alrighty! Does your Shopify Import have the expected number profiles? To confirm, where you’re getting stuck is creating a segment of POS customers from that list because it’s only showing 380 of the 3,000 you expect to see? Since you’ve set this up are net-new subscribers being added correctly and the issue is only with existing profiles?

If all are yes, then this sounds like it might be an issue with either the attribution to POS or the data import not capturing the Source correctly. You can confirm by checking through a few profiles you think should be included in the POS Customers segment but aren’t. Do they have POS as their source? Did their historical data import correctly?

Badge +4

@kaila.lawrence thanks for your help! Yes the list has the expected number of profiles, and net new profiles are being added correctly. Additionally, the POS Orders segment is updating correctly, so I’m guessing the issue is with the historical data import.

The mismatch between Shopify and Klaviyo is less important than the creation of the Post Purchase flow for POS purchases, which I’m still a little confused on how to pull off. Do you have any insights there?

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Ah, okay! We actually have a super detailed guide on this. Have you read it? What specifically are you confused about?

A Post Purchase flow is a metric-triggered flow based on Placed Order event. In order to limit to only POS customers, you can add a trigger filter of Source = POS. Then, set up your flow content accordingly. It’s important to note, however, that you should add an additional filter to only send to profiles who have consented to receive marketing. Post-purchase content is considered promotional, not transactional (which is strictly receipt/shipping info). 

Does that help?