Solved

Link to abandoned cart not working (Shopify)

• 5 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi Klaviyo community,

I have seen a few similar questions to this but still cannot get to the bottom of my issues so I’m hoping you can help. 

I have created an abandon cart flow for my Shopify store using the Klaiyo flow template. I have used the link {{ event.extra.checkout_url}} in my CTA and in a link in the text and every time i preview it defaults to the homepage. 

Any ideas why this is happening?

icon

Best answer by In the Inbox 8 August 2023, 15:41

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hey @lydsalison ,

Thanks for the reat question and welcome to the community.

How are you previewing the email?  For any email with dynamic data, it is always best to go into the email itself and then hit the “Preview & Test”. This way the email preview is pulling in sample data.

You can also double check that the URL is correct. It looks correct to me, but sometimes different shopify stores will have slightly different links. Within the email preview, you’ll see all of the dynamic variables on the right that are available. If you click the checkout URL, the correct link will be copied for you. 

Hopefully that helps!

Badge

Thanks Akers Digital - I followed the steps you mentioned and completed some tests. I find that when I send a preview test email to my inbox using another customers abandoned cart email data the link takes me to the homepage. But when I preview it using my own personal abandoned cart profile and data I am taken correctly to the checkout page. 

Should the link to the abandoned cart in preview emails also work when previewing another customers profile?

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @lydsalison 

I wanted to chime in as perhaps the following will help further troubleshoot the issue @Akers Digital was assisting with. Everything Akers Digital outlined above would be the exact same I would suggest, but if you’ve confirmed all of the steps, there might be one other thing to consider. 

I ran into a similar situation myself where I was testing a new cart abandon email for a client. I would preview the cart links in Klaviyo for a real customer, but when I clicked through, I was redirected to the homepage, which seemed odd. So I investigated further.

What could be happening is that you are viewing abandoned cart data in Klaviyo while the customer has already completed an order and Shopify has removed the abandoned cart session for their system. When Shopify removes the abandoned cart session ID from their system, Klaviyo redirects to the homepage because they need the cart ID to redirect back to the customers pre-saved cart.

Another Klaviyo user was having this happen as well and I provided a breakdown of the process I went through to investigate, so I wanted to share it with you to possibly help with you issue.

Keep us posted and if there is anything additional @Akers Digital or I can help you with, please don’t hesitate to let us know!

@In the Inbox 

Badge

Thank you Brian - you are correct I think I was previewing already completed checkouts. Thanks for your help!