Skip to main content
Solved

Merged List not moving through flow

• 23 July 2024
  • 4 replies

I have a list “Apple”.

I have a flow “Apple Flow”

The trigger for Apple Flow is when someone is added to the Apple list.

Today I discovered some leads (let’s call them “Banana”) that never made it into the Apple list, and so didn’t receive the Apple Flow emails.

I made a list of the Banana leads that had never received any emails, but that should have received the Apple flow emails.

I merged the Banana list into the Apple list, and I have confirmed that all Banana leads are now part of the Apple list.

However, after 60 minutes, (the wait time is 5 minutes after being added to the list for the first email in the Apple flow to be sent.) none of these former Banana leads have been sent the first email in the Apple flow. I’ve inspected a handful of them, and they are not suppressed and are subscribed, and can receive marketing emails.

I also have tried “Add Past Profiles” from the beginning of the flow, but that didn’t work either.

Any thoughts as to why they are not getting the emails sent to them from the Apple Flow?

How can I solve this going forward? If I have an existing flow and need to add more leads to the flow?

thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +59

Hi @Barking Hugs, welcome to the community.

When you “merged” the “Banana” List to the “Apple” List, did you use the “Merge List” function like this? 

If you did, note that using the merge functionality does not trigger any Flows (or double opt-in emails) by design - merging doesn’t trigger Flows, it’s an internal utility for those situations when you don’t actually want to trigger a Flow. 

If you did want to trigger a Flow (all at once), the work around method is to export the “Banana” List and then import it back into the “Apple” List.  You can see the instructions here:

However, in your particular situation, since the “Banana” folks are now already in the List because you merged them, this won’t work anymore because any existing people in a List will not go through a “List Triggered” Flow (e.g. Welcome Series) more than once. 

I recommend you create a new “Orange” List, clone your Flow (Welcome Flow) for a List triggered based on the empty new “Orange” List.  Once that’s done, and you turned on this new cloned Flow, then import the Banana List of folks into the Orange List.  

I know this all sounds pretty fruity, but once you have it straightened out, it should all make sense.  People only get Welcome Flows when they are added to a List (not merged).  And if you ever need to add people without triggering a Flow, you can merge them in.  Also, people should never get any List (or Segment) triggered Flow more than once.  For example, it would be strange for a subscriber to get the Welcome Flow multiple times, so Klaviyo prevents that from happening.

Hope this explains it all, but feel free to follow-up with any questions!

Badge +1

Hi Joseph!

thanks so much for your detailed explanation of the solution!

😁😁😁

My new flow is now up and running!

This now gives me two flows of similar profiles.

Is there a best practice recommendation for merging flows once completed to put them back into one flow?  For example, lets say that the Apple and Orange flow have a series of 10 emails. When the profiles who are in either of these flows gets to the end after receiving the 10 emails, I would like to have them both be added to a new flow that continues with email 11, which would go to both Apple and Oranges.

I thought about having a profile property update be the final step of the Apple and Orange flows, and then have this be the trigger for the new flow, but it seems that this would also give the profile property update to those Apple and Oranges who for never received an email in the first flow (for whatever reason) but reached the end of the flow because the number of waiting days had passed.

Is there a better way than this?

thanks again!

Paul

Userlevel 7
Badge +59

@Barking Hugs - no problem, glad that helped.

Ok, as far as I know, a merged profile is technically always excluded from any List Triggered Flow that it was merged into.  So for the few folks that you had to separate out into the New List, New Flow (Orange List/Flow) - they will have to continue on that path if you wanted to extend that. 

However, once those folks are “done” going through the the Orange Flow you can just archive that Flow since no new people should be entering it any more. 

Assuming now that everyone is now being added to the original (Apple List), that would be the Flow I would continue to maintain, improve, and add to only. At least that is what I would do so I don’t have to continue having two duplicate Flows.

Since no one should be entering the “Orange List/ Flow” - if you feel that those emails need to be sent to those merged folks in the past, you can just send them as Campaign email each time you add a new message in your “Apple Flow” if you want those folks to get it as well.   

Badge +1

Thanks you!