Solved

Multiple Welcome Series Flows - How to Ensure they are not duplicated

• 19 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I currently have two lists/Welcome Series flows set up and I am not sure if I am doing it correctly so that  email subscribers don’t get the welcome series twice.

Flow #1 - Subscribers who sign up for a discount code through a pop-up (they enter my “Website Sign Ups” list) and get their unique discount code and a welcome introduction series of emails.

Flow #2 - Subscribers who are added automatically through Shopify, either by entering their email in the sign up field in my site footer, or by agreeing to marketing when placing an order (they enter my “Newsletter” list). These customers get the same welcome series, but WITHOUT the initial email with the discount code.

What would happen if someone signs up for the discount code (through the pop-up), enters that list, and then later places an order, and gets added to the newsletter list? Would they receive the Welcome Series flows twice, through both lists?

icon

Best answer by In the Inbox 19 May 2023, 15:03

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @tiva255 

Thank you for posting your questions in the community!

Based on your description, yes, I do believe a subscriber would get the welcome series twice since both flows are associated with two different lists. 

However, you can set up a couple of conditions in each to flow to ensure some doesn’t receive both. 

First, in the flow that’s triggered by the popup, I would recommend adding a flow filter on the trigger to only allow people with the source = popup. This will ensure only users who enter via the popup will get that flow. 

As a second condition of the flow filter for the Popup, you can set criteria of “Received Email” and select the first message of the Shopify Flow. You would want the logic to be “Received Email from Shopify Flow Zero times over all time.”

Then, on the Shopify flow, you would set up a similar filter: “Received Email from Popup flow Zero times over all time”

Basically, if anyone enters the Shopify Flow but has received an email from the popup, they will be suppressed from the Shopify flow.

Similarly, you could also set the flow filters based on list vs. message received since both of the flows are list-based.

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any other questions!

@In the Inbox 

Badge

Thank you for your help. I want to be sure I am entering the fields correctly. For the flow that’s triggered by the pop-up (this flow is called Website Sign Ups), I’ve added the two filters below. For the first filter, is $source the correct field to use? And for the second filter, the “Received Email” filter, I was unsure exactly which entry to use in the “where” field. Do I have it correct below (“where” is Flow, and then “equals” field is Newsletter Emails, which is the name of the flow for the emails that come through Shopify). Or does the “where” field need to be subject and equals be the subject line of my first Welcome flow email. This is where I got thrown off, because both of the first Welcome email messages in my two flows have the same subject line.

Thank you for help! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @tiva255 

Thanks for posting your follow up questions.

Yes, $source is correct. This is a system field which is why it starts with the “$.” The value would be whatever you have set for your specific popup. 

On the other flow filter, the “where” you have set up is perfect. In my opinion, selecting the entire flow vs. a message of the flow, is the best because its all-encompassing to the experience that you want to suppress from the Popup flow or vice versa. 

As a next step, I’d launch the filters and do a daily check to make sure everything is working as expected. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

@In the Inbox 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Thank you for your help. I want to be sure I am entering the fields correctly. For the flow that’s triggered by the pop-up (this flow is called Website Sign Ups), I’ve added the two filters below. For the first filter, is $source the correct field to use? And for the second filter, the “Received Email” filter, I was unsure exactly which entry to use in the “where” field. Do I have it correct below (“where” is Flow, and then “equals” field is Newsletter Emails, which is the name of the flow for the emails that come through Shopify). Or does the “where” field need to be subject and equals be the subject line of my first Welcome flow email. This is where I got thrown off, because both of the first Welcome email messages in my two flows have the same subject line.

Thank you for help! 

I believe that would work but for me this is how i will create my flow.