Skip to main content
Solved

Newbie here - my flows are failing - any idea why?

• 9 June 2024
  • 1 reply

I cannot get to the bottom of why my flows are failing, here is a screenshot. It did passed once and I got the email, but most of the time it’s failing upon my tests. 

This is happening with Browse Abandonment but also with Abandoned Cart.

Also I’m trying to understand how an ‘event’ is triggered, does it use the browser cache to recognise who the user is. Do they only need to be a newsletter subscriber to be recognised? What is the browser cache is cleared, does it no longer recognise the user?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +59

Hi @lucinilondon, another great question!

So for this one, what are the other Profile Filters you have below this that indicates that’s failing?  Each Flow, has its own Trigger and whatever Trigger or Profile Filters you apply.  

For Abandoned Cart (typically based on the “Checkout Started” Trigger if you’re on Shopify), it normally has a Filter to prevent anyone who “Placed Order” from continuing the Flow.  This makes sense because once someone makes a purchase, you surely don’t want to send them an Abandoned Checkout email…  

For Browse Abandonment Flow, which is typically triggered on a custom “Viewed Product” metric that you need to make sure you have properly configured “Viewed Product” event as part of your onsite tracking.  You can find instructions here on how to do that if you haven’t already done so (again, assuming you’re on Shopify):

In the following part from the article above (How to enable onsite tracking for Shopify), it shows you how you can check and troubleshoot if your Viewed Product event is properly configured and installed:

• Test onsite tracking
    To confirm that onsite tracking is working, follow these steps:

1. Navigate to your Shopify site.

2. On your homepage, add the following to the end of the URL, replacing example@gmail.com with your email address:
      ?utm_email=example@gmail.com

3. Reload the page.

4. Navigate to a product page on your site.

5. Search in Klaviyo for your email address.
      You will see that a Klaviyo profile has been created for you (if one didn't exist already), and that Active on Site and Viewed Product metrics have been tracked on your activity feed.

As for how Klaviyo recognized you, this is based on a number of users’ actions such as completing a Signup Form or Opening/Clicking an email. You can read a bit more on that here:

This means if you are clearing cookies, it’s probably not going to work since the cookies are required for Klaviyo to identify you. 

Finally, for Browse Abandonment Filters, you would want to exclude anyone that “Checkout Started” AND “Placed Order” since if they started the Checkout process (but did not place order), you would want your Abandoned Checkout Flow to send emails instead.  Likewise, if they placed an order, you wouldn’t want the Browse Abandonment email to send either.  So if you are doing this as part of your testing, make sure you don’t start the checkout nor placing an order for it to work.

So in summary, for Browse Abandonment to work, it requires:

• “Viewed Product” needs to be enabled and working
  • Klaviyo needs to know the user visiting the product (cookie of the user is set)
  • User  needs to pass the Trigger/Profile Filters

Hope that helps you further troubleshoot.  If you show more examples of your setup, or some of the Filter rules in your Trigger setup, we can better help you if you are still stuck.