Solved

Not sure the best way to construct post-purchase flow for specific items (in a specific category)

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi folks,

So my client has some free product samples. There are 4 different sample items, and I’d like to be able to send post-purchase follow ups in the following conditions:

• Someone purchases 1x Sample A, with or without additional (non-free sample) items
  • Someone purchases 1 x Sample B, with or without additional (non-free sample) items
  • Someone purchases 1 x Sample C, with or without additional (non-free sample) items
  • Someone purchases 1 x Sample D, with or without additional (non-free sample) items

I have a separate flow that sends a generic PP email to anyone who orders a sample, regardless of type or quantity, but I’d like to get more granular. It seems like the display conditions are suited to profile properties, and I can’t quite figure out if I can do this with a trigger split, or whether it should be a separate flow for each sample item.

My first thought was to use a trigger split like below, but I’m not sure if that will work if there are other items in the order besides the sample.

I’d appreciate any input, thanks!

icon

Best answer by Dov 27 July 2022, 17:07

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @wernstrom,

Thanks for sharing this question with us.

Can you clarify (perhaps with an example) what you mean when you say more granular? What other factors are you looking to take into account? If you’re looking to “layer” conditions, traditionally using a few conditional splits is favorable. 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi @Dov , sure thing. 

So currently, if someone orders a free sample in any quantity and with or without other items in their cart, they get a generic follow up/thanks email. I would like to get more granular by sending more in-depth follow ups. The samples are for colour finishes for products, so for example, if someone orders a flat black sample, they get an email that highlights some popular flat black products as well as some other info.

I’m trying to factor for events where someone doesn’t only order 1 sample:

• A customer orders one free sample and other products
  • A customer orders multiple samples

My first thought was to try and use display conditions, but they’re tied to profile properties rather than events like ordered products, but now that I’m typing this out, I wonder if a better solution is to create a flow for each sample type that adds a custom property to a profile when purchased, then use display conditions in a follow up email?

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @wernstrom,

Yeah that is a fine solution. You’d just want to ensure that you’re using separate properties for each sample, otherwise the property value will be overridden if someone purchased sample A followed by sample B. 

Alternatively, you can use conditional splits in your flow to sort users based on the sample. If you’re using a metric-triggered flow, you’ll want to use event variables to display these samples. 

I hope that’s helpful.