Solved

Preventing an email in flow from sending if user already took action

• 21 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hello all,

I currently have three emails in my welcome series. The first one welcomes the user and gives them a dynamic coupon code. The second is an email about the company, and the third is a reminder about their code expiring in x days.

How do I prevent the third email from going out if the user used the coupon code before the third (last) email goes out?

Is there a way to do this?

Thank you, 

-Chris

icon

Best answer by In the Inbox 22 October 2022, 16:30

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @Chris_R 

Thanks for posting your question in the community. 

There are two ways you could approach it. The filtering is the same, but the structure in the flow is slightly different and more of a preference to you. 

What I would recommend is using the Additional Filter on the message to filter users out who have already redeemed their coupon before the time they receive the third email. You can find the Additional Filter on the message by clicking on the funnel icon in the lower right corner of the message step.

Then, you’d use the Placed Order event in the filter condition, with the Discount Code parameter, to filter user who have NOT placed an order with the coupon code. Example below. 

Alternatively, you could also use this filter in a conditional split before the message. 

The difference in structure will impact reporting. I like using the Additional Filter in the message because you can see who exactly was skipped from receiving the email in the message analytics. 

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

@In the Inbox 

Badge +2

Hey @In the Inbox!

Thank you for the help!

The prefix for this code is AW10

Does this look right to you?

Thank you so much!

-Chris

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @Chris_R 

Yes, this is perfect. I wasn’t sure how you’d have your coupon configured, but this is much easier knowing you set up a prefix for the coupons. 

To summarize, the filter will only suppress users who have placed an order with a coupon that includes the prefix AW10. Anyone who has not made a purchase with this coupon prefix, or not used a coupon at all, will continue to receive the third email in the welcome series.

I would keep an eye on the first few emails sent to your users to validate, but this filter should do the trick!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

@In the Inbox 

Badge +2

@In the Inbox 

Awesome! Thank you so much for all of the help!

I’ll definitely keep an eye on it once the first few emails go out. 

Thanks again and take care,

-Chris 

Badge

@Chris_R Did this solution work for you? Also, how did you add the prefix in the “contains” section. The prefix we use does not show up in that section. 

Thanks!