Solved

Question about segments for BLACK FRIDAY

• 12 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +4

Hello.

We've sent campaigns for months to our most engaged segments (90 days, ~25k contacts), so we have high open rates overall for months (60-70% every time) and I believe we have a very strong deliverability.

But, the thing is, we'd like to send an email for the Black Friday to all of our subscribed contacts. Going from ~25k to ~150k this time.

Do you think that, according to the fact that we have a strong deliverability, we can send 1 email or 2 to our 150k contacts without issues?

Thanks

PS. It seems like a big part of the 150k have never received an email from this brand on Klaviyo - and there’s no data from their past email accounts. That’s why I think BLACK FRIDAY is the best time of the year to get in touch with these ghost contacts.

icon

Best answer by Bobi N. 13 November 2023, 08:31

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +42

@CharlesPointFr 

That is a huge difference going from 25K to 150K and it is not safe. 

The problem is if you never emailed them you won’t know if they are good or not.. all of them together may have 50% OR but also they may have 10% which is bad. At the end deliverability will mostly depend on the OR for that campaign.

There are 2 risk factors here. I agree that BFCM is good time of the year to try to send to all people but you should have tested things and tried to re-engaged part of the big list till now.. So the 2 risk factors are:

• Since you never emailed them as I said you don’t know what is the actual engagement for the whole list
  • during BFCM season everyone thinks like you do (trying to email whole list) so your shared IP reputation drops because most people on the shared IP will try doing what you are doing

So because of this you have a higher chance of hurting your account reputation. These things are usually fixed soon after BFCM when everyone gets pack to good sending practices but I would just warn you to be careful. 

To be safe I would advice sending to the engaged list (25K) and max 1/3 of the rest (125K/3 = around 40K) but even this is risky. As I said the best option would have been if you did this in the last few months so now you will have a better idea of who is engaging and who is not but also you would have had probably more people in your engaged segment..

Badge +4

@CharlesPointFr

That is a huge difference going from 25K to 150K and it is not safe. 

The problem is if you never emailed them you won’t know if they are good or not.. all of them together may have 50% OR but also they may have 10% which is bad. At the end deliverability will mostly depend on the OR for that campaign.

There are 2 risk factors here. I agree that BFCM is good time of the year to try to send to all people but you should have tested things and tried to re-engaged part of the big list till now.. So the 2 risk factors are:

• Since you never emailed them as I said you don’t know what is the actual engagement for the whole list
  • during BFCM season everyone thinks like you do (trying to email whole list) so your shared IP reputation drops because most people on the shared IP will try doing what you are doing

So because of this you have a higher chance of hurting your account reputation. These things are usually fixed soon after BFCM when everyone gets pack to good sending practices but I would just warn you to be careful. 

To be safe I would advice sending to the engaged list (25K) and max 1/3 of the rest (125K/3 = around 40K) but even this is risky. As I said the best option would have been if you did this in the last few months so now you will have a better idea of who is engaging and who is not but also you would have had probably more people in your engaged segment..

Thank you for your answer.

The good thing is that we use a dedicated sending domain. What surprises me is that you’re telling me that it is better to get 40% OR in general and send to more people before BFCM than having 70% OR in general and send to less people.

I did believe your sending reputation was better when you get 70% OR overall rather than something around 40%.

Also, is 10% OR for this campaign that bad? I mean, that would be the only email of the year we send to the whole list, and so is the best time to engage with these ghost contacts.

10% OR would hurt our reputation, for sure. But just after, with next campaigns, we will send again to engaged segments, so our reputation will get better. Am I wrong? Maybe it’s not that easy...

I think your post’s conclusion is the best one tho.

Userlevel 7
Badge +42

@CharlesPointFr 

No No i Think you misunderstood me.. of course 70% OR is better than 40%.. I was just saying that it would be better if you tried to engaged your whole list spread in several months and several sends than to do it at once.. 

So lets say you sending 5 campaigns per month.. it would have been better if you did this August, September and October for one of those 5 campaigns each month to have 1 third of the whole list added so you can try to re-engage it. This way yes you would have had 40% on 1 of the 5 emails per month.. so when you have 70% 70% 40% 70% 70% it is not a problem for deliverability.. 

But if you do now 70% 70% and then 10% this is much more scary for the inbox providers as gmail yahoo etc. Plus you mentioned the possibility to do it 2ce for BFCM so if it is 70% 70% then 10% and 10% your domain will definitely be flagged..

But again we are speculating and we don’t know if the whole list OR would be 10% or more or maybe less but just trying to explain what may be the problem if you decide to go this route of suddenly sending to whole list during BFCM and have a bad OR..

Badge +4

@CharlesPointFr

No No i Think you misunderstood me.. of course 70% OR is better than 40%.. I was just saying that it would be better if you tried to engaged your whole list spread in several months and several sends than to do it at once.. 

So lets say you sending 5 campaigns per month.. it would have been better if you did this August, September and October for one of those 5 campaigns each month to have 1 third of the whole list added so you can try to re-engage it. This way yes you would have had 40% on 1 of the 5 emails per month.. so when you have 70% 70% 40% 70% 70% it is not a problem for deliverability.. 

But if you do now 70% 70% and then 10% this is much more scary for the inbox providers as gmail yahoo etc. Plus you mentioned the possibility to do it 2ce for BFCM so if it is 70% 70% then 10% and 10% your domain will definitely be flagged..

But again we are speculating and we don’t know if the whole list OR would be 10% or more or maybe less but just trying to explain what may be the problem if you decide to go this route of suddenly sending to whole list during BFCM and have a bad OR..

Thanks for your very clear explanations.

Keep up the lord work.