Solved

SHopify Message displayed without tags or variables

• 7 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Am trying to create Shopify order confirmation email but keep on getting this error message “Message displayed without tags or variables”.
I have referred to this help article :https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408802648731 and https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402386684187  and made sure all the variable are correct and but still i couldn’t figue what is the issue. 

Any help is much appreciated.

icon

Best answer by StefanUE 7 March 2024, 16:25

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hello,

It seems likely that there's a typo or error in one of your tags or variables.

This issue arises occasionally, and resolving it typically involves a meticulous review of each tag and variable. Unfortunately, Klaviyo doesn't pinpoint the problematic element directly.

If you're dealing with an email containing numerous tags and variables, here's a systematic approach you might find useful:

Start by opening a new email template. Then, methodically copy and paste each tag and variable from your original confirmation email into this new template. After adding each one, use the preview function to test it. This way, you'll sequentially isolate each element. Eventually, you'll identify the one that's causing the issue, allowing you to pinpoint and rectify the underlying problem.

I hope this strategy proves helpful!

PS Is there any chance you have Show/Hide Logic or Content Repeat, that could also possibly cause a problem. If you click on any block and then Display options, you can find additional tags that might be hidden there

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@prabhjot hey, thanks for a great question, and I hope Stamos and myself will be able to solve your issue.

So besides what Stamos said, which is a great point, there are also two things you want to look at, and both have been addressed in previous Community posts.

THIS POST discusses the matter of whether Shopify actually sends the correct data into Klaviyo, which would explain why, even if your syntax is correct, you’d still get this error message - the data are missing and thus your final render is empty.

Further to that, THIS POST this post discusses using the correct trigger in your flows which will ensure the correct data is pulled into the syntax. E.g. if you’ve created your flow using a checkout started trigger, and then tried creating order confirmation emails within that flow, you’d get a lot of syntax errors as the data pulled from the trigger are incompatible (and vice versa, of course).

Happy to chat further!

Badge +1

Thanks Team.

It seems quite difficult to figureout or pinpoint actual cause of the issue. I also have gone through previous post which doesn't actually give the solution. And in a tight schedule without much knowledge of these things I seem to spend hours without resolution so I think if this process can be made bit easy that would be great. Now I planned to use alternate app called oderlyemail as they quite simple and to the point approach and everything gets setup in minutes.