Shopify store owner - VIP tag on Shopify from Klaviyo and the VIP flow on Klaviyo

• 16 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hello everyone,

This is the first time I’m doing this and I’d greatly appreciate an experienced eye checking if my logic will work here. 

I want to reward people who’ve bought from me 3 or more times as a VIP member, which gives them exclusive benefits. 

I started out by creating the attached flow for those who’ve purchased once, twice or more than twice to personalize the customer journey. 

You’ll notice that if they’ve bought more than twice, I’ve added to create a new profile property - as per this article in the community. Because I need to know when an order comes through on Shopify, that its from a VIP and that they qualify for free shipping so they shouldn’t be charged for shipping. 

Question 1: Is the way I’ve set it up correct? Will it pull through on Shopify for the customer to not be charged shipping at checkout phase? 

I imagine I would have to do something on Shopify to know not to charge shipping for people who have this profile property?

Then I went on to build out a VIP segment - as per the attached definition. 

Question 2: Will the folk who went through the new vs. returning customer flow automatically enter this segment or what should I do to ensure those who’ve made 3 or more purchases enter this segment? 

Then I went on to build this flow (called Tag VIP customers - enrich customer profiles). And added an email to this flow after updating profile property as VIP true to welcome them to VIP status and let them know what exact benefits this status gets them.

Question 3: 

Can I add the email here and is the profile property thingy I added correct?  

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated. 

Warm regards,

Rox

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @ebusiness pros @Kylie W or @Spark Bridge Digital LLC 

Do any of you have experience implementing VIP loyalty rewards like this?

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hey @smileyrox - good to see you here again! Thanks for the tag @stephen.trumble (:

Love that you’re giving a special perk to VIP customers in this way. I’ve built out similar flows for my clients, so I’ll share my perspective and answer your questions as best I can. 

Question 1 - Klaviyo Flow Logic

First, hopefully you haven’t launched this flow yet! I know it will be a little more effort up-front, but if you’re willing to create a separate TY flow for New Customers (= 1 order) that will make long-term maintenance of this Repeat and VIP Customer TY system easier. You could clone this flow and modify as needed to save time. (:

Also, it’ll help you get more clear reporting on revenue generated from post-purchase flows when you separate it by customer type. It’s pretty cool to see how the engagement plays out differently, especially when you don’t have to track it manually.

IF you keep your flow exactly as it is now, it looks like the logic you’ve built will serve your purpose as intended!

As far as the property syncing to Shopify, if you’ve set up your Klaviyo integration as specified in this help doc, you should get the profile data you need. However, I’m not familiar with specifying checkout rules on the Shopify side.

Maybe @Akers Digital could help you here to ensure Shopify doesn’t charge that segment of customers for shipping?

Question 2 - VIP Segment

Since the segment definition is checking for the Placed Order event, this will be evaluated each time someone places an order. So once they reach your “at least 3 times” threshold, they’ll be added to the segment IF they haven’t unsubscribed or been suppressed by a hard bounce - based on your segment definition. This is good! It’ll give you an accurate count of VIP Customers you can reach with emails/ SMS.

Question 3 - VIP Flow 

Your logic is set up correctly to update the profile property, and sending the email as well! One quick tip - I’d add a time delay just before the email is sent.

Depending on what kind of “thanks for your order” marketing or transactional emails you have set up, you might delay this VIP “welcome” email for 10 mins, or as much as 1 hour. That will prevent any overlap so they don’t get 2-3 emails sent simultaneously.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Gabrielle