Split Test Campaign By Segment

• 2 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Badge +1
  • Contributor IV
  • 14 replies

Hello,

I’m looking to setup a single campaign where I can split the content & send times by different segments. So each segment is sent at a different time and with different content. We are currently doing this by sending multiple campaigns but this is extremely time consuming and all other email platforms I have worked with have been able to do this.

How do I accomplish this in Klaviyo?

Thanks!

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @CKUK!

Welcome to the Community. This is an interesting idea. 

Rather than testing campaigns with multiple variables in the test being evaluated simultaneously, I recommend you focus on testing one variable at a time. That will give you more meaningful results for each test.

So first decide if you want to test content or send times. 

Then, you can use Klaviyo’s A/B test feature to test one version against each other for a chosen percentage of recipients, and then send the winning variation to the remaining recipients. This A/B testing feature gives you the capacity to test email content and send times, so you can leverage that for both tests. 

If you’re wanting to evaluate how different segments respond to these emails, then an easy way to do that will be to include multiple segments in your campaign recipients even if they overlap. Then you can use the “Audience Breakdown” feature of the campaign report to evaluate engagement metrics for each segment that received the campaign. 

Best of luck in your testing!

Gabrielle

Badge +1

Hi Gabrielle,

To clarify this is not for the purpose of testing, we have customers across the US, they live in different time zones and there are different products for different states. Right now we are creating multiple campaigns to send for the different time zones and then populating each with the products of that state. The product population can be done through dynamic content so that isn’t an issue, but we want a way of sending at different times (not for testing) to different segments without having to create multiple campaigns for every single send.

Thanks,

Charles

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi Charles,

Thanks for clarifying! In that case, Klaviyo has a feature where you can schedule an email to be sent at a given time, and rather than specifying your brand’s time zone, there’s an option to schedule it in “Recipient’s Local Time”.

Seems like that might be a solution for you!

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Badge +1

I didn’t know about that! That would be perfect, will check it out. Thanks so much!

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

@CKUK you’re welcome! Here’s a screenshot of what it looks like in Klaviyo when you’re scheduling the email with that setting. 

One quick caveat I forgot to mention, this feature is only available when you’re sending a campaign with no A/B test configured.

Here’s a Klaviyo help doc with more info on the various scheduling options - depending on the size of your list, you might also find the “gradual send time” option helpful for deliverability with some of the campaigns you send…

Badge +1

Oh...so we can’t do any testing when sending in a recipients timezone? That’s not brilliant, are there any kind of workarounds for that? Is it possible to split content dynamically inside of the template to be shown to 50% of people as a workaround?

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hey @CKUK, yes this is an unfortunate limitation of Klaviyo. You can use conditional content blocks, to show/ hide certain email sections based on data you have about someone’s profile. 

For example, if they live in Texas, show one block and if they live in California, show another block. You won’t be able to assess specific results from that in the way you could with using an A/B test though. 

Setting up a specific flow might be a good solution for your problem. There’s the ability to specify sending emails at a certain time of day, in the recipients timezone, there as well. 

If you’re willing to give me more context on what kind of emails you’re sending, and what the intended customer experience is, I might be able to help more!

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Klaviyo Champion & Marketing Lead at ebusiness pros 

Badge +1

Hi Gabrielle,

It really is as simple as sending at different times based on US state timezones, with different content for each state and being able to test. We currently accomplish this by sending multiple campaigns but this is a very long process.

Thanks,

Charles