Skip to main content
Solved

Tips on how to optimise for Outlook?

• 24 May 2024
  • 2 replies

Looking for tips and tricks on how to optimise email templates for Outlook as an email client. 

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

We’ve faced Outlook’s HTML issues many times and totally get how frustrating it can be. I have some tips we also use to make our email templates look better in Outlook: Let me know if they helped you:)

Use simple layouts: Stick to one-column designs; Outlook handles these better. Otherwise it becomes a mess (ask me how I know).

Inline CSS: Apply styles directly in HTML tags (inline) instead of using external stylesheets. This might lean more to a developer side, but could still could be of assistance to you.

Avoid background images: They often don’t display correctly in Outlook. Tools like Email On Acid have shown us that Outlook and background images on campaigns don’t mix very well.

Test your emails: Always send test emails and check them in Outlook to catch any issues early. You could also use Email On Acid for this.

Use tables for your layout: Outlook tends to handle table-based layouts better than div-based ones.

Set image widths: This has mostly made a bigger difference. Define widths for images to prevent them from stretching (e.g., full-width images should be 600px).​ Some really smart people have figured this out over on these resources:(Klaviyo Help Center)​​ (Klaviyo Forum)​.

Stick to web-safe fonts: Use common fonts like Arial, Times New Roman, or Verdana. We’ve found those to be the top 3 that work the best.

Hope this helps :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

Welcome to the community @HannaBystroem 

To add to @eCom2Win_Marketing great tips, Outlook strips out the paragraph breaks within text blocks. I always create a new text block for each paragraph so it renders with the correct spacing.

Regards

Andy