Skip to main content
Solved

Tips on how to optimise for Outlook?

• 24 May 2024
  • 2 replies

Looking for tips and tricks on how to optimise email templates for Outlook as an email client. 

We’ve faced Outlook’s HTML issues many times and totally get how frustrating it can be. I have some tips we also use to make our email templates look better in Outlook: Let me know if they helped you:)

Use simple layouts: Stick to one-column designs; Outlook handles these better. Otherwise it becomes a mess (ask me how I know).

Inline CSS: Apply styles directly in HTML tags (inline) instead of using external stylesheets. This might lean more to a developer side, but could still could be of assistance to you.

Avoid background images: They often don’t display correctly in Outlook. Tools like Email On Acid have shown us that Outlook and background images on campaigns don’t mix very well.

Test your emails: Always send test emails and check them in Outlook to catch any issues early. You could also use Email On Acid for this.

Use tables for your layout: Outlook tends to handle table-based layouts better than div-based ones.

Set image widths: This has mostly made a bigger difference. Define widths for images to prevent them from stretching (e.g., full-width images should be 600px).​ Some really smart people have figured this out over on these resources:(Klaviyo Help Center)​​ (Klaviyo Forum)​.

Stick to web-safe fonts: Use common fonts like Arial, Times New Roman, or Verdana. We’ve found those to be the top 3 that work the best.

Hope this helps :)

Welcome to the community @HannaBystroem 

To add to @eCom2Win_Marketing great tips, Outlook strips out the paragraph breaks within text blocks. I always create a new text block for each paragraph so it renders with the correct spacing.

Regards

Andy