Solved

Transactional Flow Rejected

• 13 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge

I have a flow that keeps getting rejected from transactional status. I’m being told that it has marketing in it but it doesn’t. 

It goes like this: 

• Person is on my website. They buy a 1-hour consultation with me.
  • They then get this email. There are two links: one to provide some info about what they want to discuss in their consultation, and one to schedule the call. 

They’ve already paid for the call. So there’s no marketing. This is how I’m delivering what the customer ordered. I keep explaining this and I’m getting this pushback that it’s marketing but it’s definitely transactional. 

Has anyone dealt with this and found a fix?

icon

Best answer by Bobi N. 14 March 2024, 08:36

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +42

@kmcdermott 

Well actually you are looking the wrong way here.. you are saying there is no marketing in this email so this email is transactional but it actually doesn’t go this way.

Transactional emails are specific and there is strict things that are allowed and not allowed in them. The point of view is, is this email transactional and meeting the rules if not then it is marketing.

And what is transactional email? Just providing info to the customers about what they bought or if it is a shipment just providing a link and info about their shipment.

The problem in your situation is even though you are not marketing anything you are also not meeting the basic rules of transactional emails of just providing info about the order because you are linking 2 things that provide and ask for more information. Because of it this email is not transactional and by definition if it is not transactional it is marketing even though you are not having any marketing content in it.

Transactional email would be “this is just a confirmation of your order, you ordered 1 hour consultation with X” if you can add more info about the order ok if not that would be it. Think of it as giving receipt to the customer. 

Badge

@Bobi N. thanks so much for your response. 

I really appreciate you clarifying. I see what you mean—if it’s not strictly an order confirmation or shipping info, it’s by default considered marketing. I was getting hung up on them telling me it “was a marketing email” because it is clearly not. 

So now I have to figure out some kind of workaround outside of Klaviyo I guess, because I don’t want to be emailing people manually and they need to get at least the booking link so they can schedule their call. 

Kate

Userlevel 7
Badge +42

@kmcdermott I’m not sure why it is important to you this to be transactional? Just send it as marketing email.. it doesn’t make much difference at the end for people who receive it for them it is just another email..

Badge

@Bobi N. because if it’s marketing rather than transactional, it will only go to people who have opted into my email list. This is basically a glorified order confirmation, it needs to be delivered whether someone is on my list or not. 

Badge

@Bobi N. just FYI, heard back from someone else at Klaviyo. They said there was a miscommunication and they are in fact marking my email as transactional. :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +42

@kmcdermott well this is great then! that is a bit of a problem when there is no clear definition for this so it is a big subject of opinion on the person who is reviewing it I guess, specially in situations like this when it can be viewed both ways