Solved

Trouble Accessing Customer Profile Properties in 'Checkout Started' Email Flow

• 17 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello!

I'm currently working on a 'checkout started' email flow and I'm having trouble pulling a custom property, specifically the 'Top 3 health goals', from customer profiles into this flow. I have been using the variable {{ person|lookup:'Top 3 health goals' }} in my email templates, but it doesn't seem to be populating correctly.

When I look at the event properties for the 'checkout started' event, I don't see any of the profile properties.

Is there a way to make customer profile properties available in event properties, or another workaround to use these profile properties in my email flow?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Brian Turcotte 18 July 2023, 18:01

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @olenaseveryn!

I think the key point to be made here is that there is a difference between event variables and profile properties. You won’t find profile properties in the event properties of the Checkout Started metric, because those are specific to the event.

Instead, adding profile properties is as easy as clicking on the Add Personalization button in the text editor of a flow message:

This will prompt you with a drop-down menu that allows you to search for the desired property, and it will automatically populate the correct variable syntax.

I hope this helps, and thanks for using the Community!

- Brian

Badge

Thank you Brian!

So I did exactly that - pulled from the “add personalization” menu, however it still didn’t pull the custom profile property. I thought that the reason was because the checkout started event doesn’t have it, but it seems like it actually is not connected.
So what can be the reason why it is not working?
Can it be because the custom property is pulled from the quiz app in a wrong format? For example, string vs list?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @olenaseveryn!

Was the property in the Add Personalization dropdown menu at all, or was it there, but just didn’t populate correctly when you added it?

If it wasn’t in the menu at all, may I ask if there is at least 1 profile in your Klaviyo account that has a value for that property? You actually can’t use properties in flows or segments until that’s the case, so you’d have to add it manually before testing again.

If the property is available in the menu, but does not appear when you test, can you explain how you are testing this? This would help myself and other Community members understand the issue better.

Best,

Brian